Thread: Fuse gone crazy?

I'm NOT new! Array firecrackersam's Avatar

Default Fuse gone crazy?

I decided since fireworks go on sale tomorrow (yeahhhhh!!!), I would light some of the old fireworks I had from last year. It turned out all I had left was sparklers, morning glories, and a roll of "Chinese water-proof fuse". I kept the sparklers and morning glories to save money (Because TNT's prices are insane this year!) and I decided to light the fuse in little bits. I cut about and inch and a half long strip of fuse and lit it. This is where it went crazy. It flew into the air spinning, shot up, almost hitting my face, and as a tiny piece of ash, landed, smoldering on my porch. Is this a malfunction or does fuse just do this.

-firecrackersam
    P.S.
    If I run away next time (after I light it) it probably will work as a pretty good helicopter!
    Last edited by firecrackersam; April 7th, 2010 at 05:45 PM.

Default Re: Fuse gone crazy?

Thats just what fuse does. That's where the tape comes in.

That's normal.

The fuse....not you.
    Guy walks into the local military recruiting office.
    Sergeant says, "So you want to help defend the country?"
    Guy says, "No, I just want salutes."

I think that is normal because i brought a brand new roll of green visco this year and i lit a little piece off and it flew like 50 feet.So fuse is ment to be sucered to a cake or varius firework.When you tape it down it will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by fashionheadhunter View Post
    That's normal.

The fuse....not you.
    U got that right, as long as fireworks are legal, I WON'T be normal.

Little pieces of fuse are like heat-seeking missiles. Once it starts flying around crazy, there's like an 82% probability that it's coming after you. Best thing to do is just stand still (or lay down and play dead. haha.)

Ant
    There comes a time in every man's life when snakes and sparklers are no longer satisfying.

Ever heard of flying fish or bumble bee fuse? It is normal every day fuse with the exception that is has color certain effects. When most fuses are cut in to small pieces, they tend to be rocket propelled and unpredictable on the direction they will go.
    BATFE Type 54 Permitted
    Ohio Licensed Exhibitor

super glue and tooth picks,safety goggles and one inch fuse.Don,t forget the stop watch to get a accurate time of burn(seconds per inch).That is how I time my fuse before it is used to join stuff.

Crazy fuse is normal to me. Thats why it says "Light fuse and get away". Now you see their talking about the fuse and the firework.

I had a similar experience last week. I was testing connecting one piece to another and stepped on one end so it wouldn't take off.... You guessed it. As it burned near my foot I thought "move your foot so you don't burn your shoe". I shouldn't listen to myself sometimes. I moved my foot and swoosh, up in the air it flew! "Take cover", I thought, as I surveyed the area for potential fallout.
    Fuse is cool!

Ha! Good info to know, didn't realize fuse was THAT crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by linboogy View Post
    Ever heard of flying fish or bumble bee fuse? It is normal every day fuse with the exception that is has color certain effects. When most fuses are cut in to small pieces, they tend to be rocket propelled and unpredictable on the direction they will go.
    Do you think you could cut this fuse to 1 or 2 inch pieces and light it to make mini helicopters?

That's how fuse works it will leave burning ash but like the guys say this is what tape is for!

super glue and tooth picks,safety goggles and one inch fuse.Don,t forget the stop watch to get a accurate time of burn(seconds per inch).That is how I time my fuse before it is used to join stuff.
    You've got to be joking, right?

Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by firecrackersam View Post
    I decided since fireworks go on sale tomorrow (yeahhhhh!!!), I would light some of the old fireworks I had from last year. It turned out all I had left was sparklers, morning glories, and a roll of "Chinese water-proof fuse". I kept the sparklers and morning glories to save money (Because TNT's prices are insane this year!) and I decided to light the fuse in little bits. I cut about and inch and a half long strip of fuse and lit it. This is where it went crazy. It flew into the air spinning, shot up, almost hitting my face, and as a tiny piece of ash, landed, smoldering on my porch. Is this a malfunction or does fuse jut do this.

-firecrackersam
    P.S.
    If I run away next time (after I light it) it probably will work as a pretty good helicopter!
    Lol thats the flying fish effect look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MEJ32HUFok

Quote Originally Posted by stang444 View Post
    Lol thats the flying fish effect look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MEJ32HUFok
    That's crazy, Is the fuse inside the shell's "load" instead of stars?

Quote Originally Posted by firecrackersam View Post
    That's crazy, Is the fuse inside the shell's "load" instead of stars?
    Before I knew how to make stars, I used to use flying fish in my shells instead. I gives off a go getter effect to.
    BATFE Type 54 Permitted
    Ohio Licensed Exhibitor

Small pieces will do that in most any fuse. All that combustion has to go somewhere. it pushes the fuse around. If cut in longer legnths, it will be controlled.