Thread: Suggestions for Panel Manufacturing

Default Suggestions for Panel Manufacturing

I'm working on building many 32 cue eMadeinchn boxes and am trying to decide what to do for the panels. Initially I thought I'd cut them myself out of 1/16" AL, but after making the prototype I don't think I'm happy with what I can do with the tools that I have available (drill, jigsaw). I'm considering finding a prototype shop to help - will probably end up making 6-8 boxes. I'm curious what has worked for others as far as material (polycarbonate, AL, etc.), manufacturing process (laser, plasma, etc.), and how you went about finding a shop. I have everything done in 3D CAD.

It looks like there may even be some good options on the web - currently playing around with the client from eMachineShop. Has anyone ordered custom machined parts over the web? Wondering about what cost to expect as well...

Any suggestions are much appreciated!
    Member - Pyrotechnics Guild International
    Member - Michigan Pyrotechnics Arts Guild
    ATF Type 54 User Permit

Default Re: Suggestions for Panel Manufacturing

I dont have suggestion... however I would maybe be willing to get a panel as well.. maybe the more there is better the price can be.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsnyder View Post
    I'm working on building many 32 cue eMadeinchn boxes and am trying to decide what to do for the panels. Initially I thought I'd cut them myself out of 1/16" AL, but after making the prototype I don't think I'm happy with what I can do with the tools that I have available (drill, jigsaw). I'm considering finding a prototype shop to help - will probably end up making 6-8 boxes. I'm curious what has worked for others as far as material (polycarbonate, AL, etc.), manufacturing process (laser, plasma, etc.), and how you went about finding a shop. I have everything done in 3D CAD.

It looks like there may even be some good options on the web - currently playing around with the client from eMachineShop. Has anyone ordered custom machined parts over the web? Wondering about what cost to expect as well...

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

I am on the verge of customizing an ODA50 with a new front panel. I have an old client that owns a laser cutter. They pretty much make custom widgets for the RV industry and other various stuff. I was planning on contacting him once I got a little bit closer. I believe he just has the design entered into his cad system and the laser goes to town based on that. I will try to get a hold of him after the 4th and see if I can get an idea of what he would charge.

QMAN

I used Front Panel Express. They provide free software and the results were great:

http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/
    State of CO Display Operator Licensed
    Member Rocky Mountain Pyrotechnics Guild
    Member PGI

"It's better to burn out than fade away"
    "Don't loose your head"

If you a real comfy with your CAD work an online might work for ya but...some of them won't accept std files (DXF, etc.) and you need to redraw in there system

I found a local specialty machine shop with a waterjet and laser cutter on site. Got panels made (that I didn't complete in time, Dewey to the rescue!) out of AL. I'l have to find the receipt but it wasn't that bad once I accounted for time and shipping costs. Nice thing about local guys is if you can get a rapor going they may do one for you to take home and test with, mine did, which was good, what looked perfect on the screen was way to tight to work with in reality.

Link to final test / prototype
    http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...W/IMG_0678.jpg

NEC
    Member - Pyrotechnic Artists of Texas, Canyon Lake Pyros

I second the Front Panel Express suggestion. They cut 2panels for me and did an awesome job including engraving and anodizing. Another option is www.bigbluesaw.com; they have cnc and waterjet but require a cad file and are only cost effective if you buy multiple panels or catch a sale.
    ATF Type 54
    Kansas Display License
    www.trmpyro.com
    "I never go to Corn Country without Butter" -Jimbo
    Dewey 2 Beta Tester

Member Array

I cut panels, if anyone is interested shoot me a pm I and cheaper than most and have a faster turnaround rate.