Thread: Fusing a cake Board

Default Fusing a cake Board

Okay so I am sure someone is going to spank me on asking this because it was answered before somewhere buried in the posts. But I can't find the exact answer to my question. So here it is:

I plan on making cake boards with 500 gram cakes. I want them packed close so I can fit as many cakes on a pallet as possible. I want 1 to go off right after the other. So with some cakes running 35 sec or even 30 sec. I am unsure of what type of fuse to use. I have 21 sec and 10 sec fuse from bigs and I think they will both be too fast. If I tape the cakes together and I have the fuse running along side each cake hitting each fuse of each cake as it goes I think that in some instances I will have less than 1 foot of fuse between cakes depending on the cake diameter of course. So for example if I had even 1 foot or less between each fuse on 2 particular cakes I wanted to chain together, the cakes 21 sec fuse and 10 sec fuse would screw me!! Does that make sense? What I need is something at say 50 sec so I have some options when I have smaller cakes blocked together. If I donít do this I will have to take my 21 sec fuse and pull it away from the cake so it last for a 35 sec before it hits the next cake. Am I correct on this or not? Is there any fuse I can get that runs 50 sec or around there that is not so thick it will be a problem linking it to the cake fuse which may be a smaller diameter?

Any thoughts?

Default Re: Fusing a cake Board

I would try Pyrocreations, or CannonFuse for some good slow fuse.

Cake times and fuse rates can both vary. I try not to be too precise because timing a cake to fire right after one ends is very difficult (at least for me). I usually over lap cakes a little. For me, it is better than a dead spot during the show. I like 30 sec/ft for fusing most boards.
    prpyro.
    Member PGI
    IIIIIIIIIIIIIII

i dont think anything over 30sec/ft is ever necessary. most cakes are aprox 30sec or less and most 500g are a foot wide or more. you also have to figure about 3 sec for the cakes fuse. if you have anything that runs long just make sure its next to something that would look good shooting at the same time.
    And the #1 reason everyone should like fireworks....
    Who doesn't enjoy a good bang once in a while?

Member Array

You said it not me........
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spanking.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	8588  

Quote Originally Posted by prpyro View Post
    Cake times and fuse rates can both vary. I try not to be too precise because timing a cake to fire right after one ends is very difficult (at least for me). I usually over lap cakes a little. For me, it is better than a dead spot during the show. I like 30 sec/ft for fusing most boards.
    ^^ me too

Okay so thanks for the input. I have never created a board before so I'll do my best and play it by ear. I really need 30 sec fuse then.....

hey russ, where u gettin ur 30sec/ft from? i ordered 400ft of 30sec fuse from a real good supplier. One that many rave about but when i got it and tested it, it was only 20-22sec not 30-32secs like advertised. im not planning on sending it back and i did order alot so hopefully i will have enough to where i can just use a little extra for the delay i need rather than sending it back and buying again. Im not here to bash anyone, im not complaining about the company, i know that fuse times may vary, i just didnt think they would vary by 10sec per ft. no complaints and they said i could return it if i wanted but that was too much work
    Last edited by nexed23; June 18th, 2009 at 07:21 PM.
    BATFE Type 54 User Permitted

I usually get it from Millers.

ah. alright. well i know at least for next year. thx man they sell quick there too?
    BATFE Type 54 User Permitted

As far as I know, they have 30 sec and 7 sec visco. They don't really advertise it though. Don't think they have any other speeds, but I could be wrong. The timing is pretty close to perfect on 'em so far for me. Still, I sometimes cut off a foot and time it. Especially when I get 'em mixed up

Member Array

It seems to me that the slower fuses (22-30 s/ft) appear to be a lot more consistent in speed per foot than the faster fuses. Especially if you are unfortunate enough to purchase lots of "fast" yellow visco like I did - supposedly about 1/2 second per foot that stuff is anywhere from 1/2 second to 15 seconds per foot!! Kind of messes up your timing if you were planning for the 1/2 second as advertised. Anyone want a few hundred feet of "mystery speed" yellow visco? I can sell cheap!!

I always set up and video tape a test board each year with about 3 feet of each fuse to be certain what each speed was. I repeat the tests a couple times each year.

Just ordered a couple hundred feet of 30 sec from Cannonfuse, I believe Pyrocreations is out
    BATFE Type 54 Permitted
    God bless the USA

Quote Originally Posted by russell View Post
    I usually get it from Millers.
    How much is there fuse? Case/retail.

Cannonfuses' burns @ 33 secs/ft

I like using red falling leaves fuse, I think I got it from Skylighter. It burns at 10.2 seconds an inch, so it's easy to have it burn for a long time in a small amount of room. When you have a bunch of 200g cakes, you don't want a foot of fuse before the next cake when you only have about 4" of space.