Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can fireworks ever get old and be bad?

Default Can fireworks ever get old and be bad?

Well title says it. Back in december of 2008, i bought two boxes of mortars and want to know if its dangerous to still light them off for this years 4th of july. If so is there anyway i can still light them? etc... Thanks!

IF your wondering i have a box of "Voodoo balls" with 12 mortors in it made from alamo fireworks, and a box of "America rising" 5 quad break shells from BaiHai fireworks?

Default Re: Can fireworks ever get old and be bad?

better bring 'em to me just to be sure

(they'll be fine, as long as thewy didn't get wet)

Quote Originally Posted by kienvu14 View Post
    Well title says it. Back in december of 2008, i bought two boxes of mortars and want to know if its dangerous to still light them off for this years 4th of july. If so is there anyway i can still light them? etc... Thanks!

IF your wondering i have a box of "Voodoo balls" with 12 mortors in it made from alamo fireworks, and a box of "America rising" 5 quad break shells from BaiHai fireworks?
    You should be fine, I have shells from a few years ago, and they haven't given me any grief. As long as they were in a cool and dry place, you should be fine. I'd light them

There are some that say, like wine, fireworks get better with age, I, personally don't know. I've actually had this discussion with my dad multiple times. I've never been able to keep a good cake for a few years in a time capsule, I can't even go a few weeks.
    -PGI member
    -HPA member
    -peace through superior firepower
    -crack doesn't smoke itself

Member Array

There are those on here who shoot "" shells from pre-CSPC control era.. And they are still safe and ""!!!

Its just i remember reading/hearing somewhere that if you keep your fireworks for a while and not use them that the BP or what ever substance in these fireworks have can settle and would not light properly and have a bad effect ( exploding in mortar tube?) but thanks guys!

thanks for the quick replies guys!

Member Array

As long as they are kept dry, you can use them years down the road.
    Remember that when you buy product from where ever you do, theres a very good chance its more than a year old.

How do you guys manage to have leftovers?
    PGI Member

I started out with nothing and still have most of it left

Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by hvac_superman View Post

Ancient art of storing the fireworks off site!

Quote Originally Posted by runvs00 View Post
    Ancient art of storing the fireworks off site!
    Or hiding them so well from the wife that even you forgot where they are.....
    If you see me running, try to keep up!!
    Member-N.F.A.
    P.G.I.
    http://en.freakpyromaniacs.com/forum
    http://www.maff.ws/

Alot of retail stores you go in if you can see in a window from outside there's usually product sitting in those windows with extremely faded labels from sitting there forever and they still fire just fine.
    And the #1 reason everyone should like fireworks....
    Who doesn't enjoy a good bang once in a while?

Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro Nut View Post
    Or hiding them so well from the wife that even you forgot where they are.....
    HEY I just remembered where some are!!!
    Thanks Pyro Nut!!

Actually living in a comunis... I mean Fireworks unfriendly state has kept my pyro habits at bay.. Thanks to the city that never sleeps I never get to shoot pyro here..

I'm not mad I'm just gonna move! Hey Pyro nut you got some extra land down there in good ol' PA??

I shot some stuff a few months back that was 30+ years old and it went off just fine. Like Strobes said...keep them dry and in the wrappers/boxes and they will be fine.
    "Firecrackers...the silent killer" - Troy McClure

Member PGI

Illinois DNR Explosives License
    ATF Type 33

Quote Originally Posted by russell View Post
    better bring 'em to me just to be sure

(they'll be fine, as long as thewy didn't get wet)
    I had a box of crackling artillery shells that I had for about 2 years and when I lit them, they didnt go high at all, they were even struggling to make it up there, they didnt even get wet, they were in my closet. oh i have a question what if you keep them in the garage in the winter? it sure does get cold in those garages, of course there boxed up.

I'm NOT new! Array firecrackersam's Avatar

You should be fine, the only problems I've ever had with fireworks getting old were some old dud firecrackers that I found on the street that fizzled out. Also, December wasn't that long ago so your shells should still be in very good condition to light!(unless you damaged them with water... a fireworks enemy )
    Last edited by firecrackersam; April 7th, 2010 at 07:05 PM.

the basic rule is that as long as you keep them in a cool dry spot like your house they will be just fine if they are exposed to the elments like heat and Humidity then you could run into problems.hope this helps

Heat shouldn't have to much effect on fireworks. For that matter, humidity really isn't the worst thing either although it may effect fuse speed. Fireworks get shipped across the ocean in big cargo containers. Then they get stored in those same containers. I've seen the containers themselves sitting in pools of water. Keep the water from dripping off the fireworks and try not to move them around to much.
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

MEMBER PGI
    Charter Member PTPG Fargo, ND

www.brookings-black-powder-fireworks.com

Member Array

They should be fine. I just found, and lit, some 14 or so year old firecrackers I found in my parents garage. They worked just fine.

Stunt - What type of temps are these works exposed to when sitting in these containers for such periods of time ? Can it get over 100 or 120 degrees ?

Quote Originally Posted by diviz10 View Post
    Stunt - What type of temps are these works exposed to when sitting in these containers for such periods of time ? Can it get over 100 or 120 degrees ?
    Don't know exactly. However, we can assume that the shipment will pass somewhere through the tropics, no shade, air temp easily 100, 110. Temp inside the container could approach 140 without trouble. Then consider south Texas or Arizona. Air temp will easily break 120. Inside the shipping container 140 or 150 wouldn't suprise me in the least.
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

MEMBER PGI
    Charter Member PTPG Fargo, ND

www.brookings-black-powder-fireworks.com

bought some phantom products : moon travelers and water dynomite.. bought in 2006, fuse doesnt light all the way. I guess they expired.
    Non impediti ratione cogitationis

Quote Originally Posted by hvac_superman View Post
    If you don't have leftovers, you’re not buying enough
    All i have in this world are my words and my balls and i dont break them for nobody…
    Tony Montana, Scarface

Quote Originally Posted by thepyrohead View Post
    If you don't have leftovers, you’re not buying enough
    Thats funny, I actually do have many more mortars this year than I have mortar tubes (361). Im sure with the croud I invite to my party it will go on until they are all gone.
    PGI Member

I started out with nothing and still have most of it left

Quote Originally Posted by pyro_casper_13 View Post
    .....what if you keep them in the garage in the winter? it sure does get cold in those garages....
    casper,
    Fireworks have a tolerance for a wide range of temperatures (extreme cold to fairly extreme heat). Two of the suppliers that I deal with use semi-trailers to store their products. Which means that the "works" are sitting in those things during the "cold of winter" and the "heat of summer". Those products are what is sold to people like you and me. They work just fine, correct?
    There is a point at which "heat" can make fireworks unstable (I think it's roughly 160 to 170 degrees range). For as hot as it can get inside of those trailers from sitting in the summer sun (probably 120 to 130 degrees), it would more than likely take an artificial heat source to elevate temps to the "unstable" point.
    Will the more knowledgeable people about this please step up?

By the way, that's a wild new avitar you have. Hilarious .

Member Array

last year i had a few temple of heaven flashing thunder candles from around 1987ish. went off fine, still mega loud.

Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by r1dermon View Post
    last year i had a few temple of heaven flashing thunder candles from around 1987ish. went off fine, still mega loud.
    I am uber jealous!!! 1987!! Oh and you have self control of Tibetan Monk to hang onto something like that for 21 years!

You should be fine. A couple weeks ado I lit a case of 500g from 03 and it was fine.

Member Array

actually found them a few years back, but was wary of lighting them off since A. they were class B, and thus, i was hesitant to blow my fingers off with something labeled in chinese in brown paper that says "flashing thunder" on it. and B. they were quite old so i didn't know if they'd even work anyway.

regardless they went off like brand new. nice strong lift, and strong echoing report. wish they were 1.4, i'd grab a few cases and chain fuse em.

I found some Holiday Shells from way back...They fired just fine,boy I wish still sold those.

youll be find just might have a little trouble getting the fuses lit or staying lit

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy7978 View Post
    I shot some stuff a few months back that was 30+ years old and it went off just fine. Like Strobes said...keep them dry and in the wrappers/boxes and they will be fine.
    I sure would like to see your stash.
    If you see me run by......you better follow!

My youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/hoosierr...d?feature=mhee