Thread: Wire Footage Counter

Default Wire Footage Counter

I am looking for a linear footage (inches really) counter to attach to spools of wire to ease the task of measuring out several hundred lengths of wire; similar to those seen at Lowes or Home Depot for buying bulk wire. Can't seem to find what I am looking for by searching the net and hoped someone could point me in the right direction. Looking to measure out 18-24 Awg wire.
    ATF Type 54
    Kansas Display License
    www.trmpyro.com

Default Re: Wire Footage Counter

Those things they use at Lowes are about $700 so I doubt you want to spend that kind of cash. I did a quick search and found this but no price:

http://www.rotosure.com/Roto_Sure/default.asp?brandId=1

Scroll down to the bottom and look at what they call the Cable Box 50
    Single handedly trying to stimulate the economy by purchasing more fireworks than I can afford!

Quote Originally Posted by p40whk View Post
    Those things they use at Lowes are about $700 so I doubt you want to spend that kind of cash. I did a quick search and found this but no price:

http://www.rotosure.com/Roto_Sure/default.asp?brandId=1

Scroll down to the bottom and look at what they call the Cable Box 50
    No, I definitely don't want to spend $700 or even the $230 that the item in your link costs. I was hoping for something low cost, even just a revolution counter to pull the wire through. Seems like it should be available. Thanks for the link, found the price at www.ustape.com.
    ATF Type 54
    Kansas Display License
    www.trmpyro.com

Single handedly trying to stimulate the economy by purchasing more fireworks than I can afford!

you can contact a electrical wholesale house they can cut the wire for you in any length you need.good luck be safe

Good link, that actually gives me an idea of how to make one using a mechanical stroke counter and a couple of wheels. Just what I need another side project. Thanks again for the link.
    ATF Type 54
    Kansas Display License
    www.trmpyro.com

You can always check Craigslist or auctions where maybe an electrical supply is going out of business.
    Molon Labe
    Founder & Charter Member, KCAP (Kansas City Area Pyrotechnicians)
    www.kcap.us
    Non-Sparking tools by pyinthesky.com
    Kansas City Senior Portraits

Quote Originally Posted by sofaking View Post
    you can contact a electrical wholesale house they can cut the wire for you in any length you need.good luck be safe
    I do get my wire for DB25's precut and tinned from www.asapwire.com and that works out awesome and really speeds things up. I am working on slats for my firing system and need to cut various lengths in groups of 12 which currently is fairly tedious, electrical warehouse would be an option if I knew ahead of time what I needed, and I had one close.

I will keep checking online or make one similar to the ebay post using a mechanical counter and a couple wheels. Thanks for all the suggestions and links, keep them coming if you think of anything else.
    ATF Type 54
    Kansas Display License
    www.trmpyro.com

Member Array

You can maybe make one using one of those wheels contractors use to measure off things on the ground. I am not sure what they are called but at leased you can use the counter off of it. Just an idea.

If I have a lot to do, I usually put stakes in the ground, then just go around the stakes till i have enough pieces then cut it at the stakes.

What about the cheap fishing reel counters used for trolling? I think I picked one up at GI Joes for like $5.00 before it went out of business....

Quote Originally Posted by joleinik View Post
    What about the cheap fishing reel counters used for trolling? I think I picked one up at GI Joes for like $5.00 before it went out of business....
    I thought you had the solution but I need a device capable of measuring inches and all the line counters I found measured in feet. I think I will buy a mechanical counter and install it on a pair of rollers with 1" circumference so every rotation registers an inch similar to a lot of the payout meters out there but on a much smaller scale. In the mean time I will continue to use the "ruler" method which works just fine.
    ATF Type 54
    Kansas Display License
    www.trmpyro.com