Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much fountain is too much fountain?

Default How much fountain is too much fountain?

I am thinking of fanning/angle/fronting some of these out. would a 5 minuite fountain show be too long?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fountains.jpg 
Views:	540 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	7821
    Born Free.

Default Re: How mutch fountain is too mutch fountain?

I hope not That's what I'm starting with this year

You can never have too much Cow Bell....
    -2 cents

Man thay's money you could have spent on real fireworks
    Fountian Hater!

I did a 5 minute fountain segment a couple years ago and was almost stoned by the crowd
    BATFE Type 54 Permitted
    God bless the USA

I did a 5 minute fountain segment a couple years ago and was almost stoned by the crowd
    This year seat them down wind.

Man thay's money you could have spent on real fireworks
    Fountian Hater!
    locationlocationlocation
    Born Free.

Dude, you have enough fountains there to get you sent off for a long time in my neck of the woods
    BATFE Type 54 Permitted
    God bless the USA

never was a fan. . ..

....i have some ghost ryder and wish i hadnt bought them. i tried REALLY hard to like fountains. .. i bought a bunch of them....this kind, that kind, tried them all out and ....

.....at the end of my experimentation phase i decided once again. i just dont like fountains. not a fan. . . . .

i like mines and aerials. i just feel like i waste my money when i buy fountains.

but i am sure whatever you come up with ...with all those good fountains you have. .. . .will entertain most. for fountains. .. those are some nice ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Georgie-Tiger View Post
    never was a fan. . ..

but i am sure whatever you come up with ...with all those good fountains you have. .. . .will entertain most. for fountains. .. those are some nice ones.
    I think what GT is trying to say is he isn't going to be coming your show....or showing up conveniently late </sarcasm>
    -2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by drgoedken
    You can never have too much Cow Bell....
    ^ Great SNL episode!

I too start off the show with series of fountains....like most folks I have them start small to larger and then introduce aerials, shells, cakes etc. I am a fan of the fountain. I've got a case of Concert Concerto (Black Cat) and Red Rain (Black Cat)
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	morecowbell.JPG 
Views:	488 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	7822  

Default Re: How much fountain is too much fountain?

Five minutes may be too long unless you really get creative with them. I plan on doing a fountain segment a lot closer to my audience than the 200 feet away were the rest of the fireworks are being fired. About midway through the show after everyone's necks are sore from looking up, I'll have 2 ladders loaded with wheels and fountains close enough to be personal but far enough for safety. Fountains shot in mass can really be impressive if you have the right ones. GT has a point, there are way more so-so fountains out there and only a few that are worth buying, it's just hard to find those few.

My fountain display last year was next to where the rest of my stuff was launching from and it was just to far away to impress like it should have. It lasted 2 minutes and at that distance it seemed long to me.

Not sure if there are recommended distances for fountains but the closer they are to the crowd the more impressive they are. That 20 foot tall Behemoth would look wimpy 200 feet away.
    Single handedly trying to stimulate the economy by purchasing more fireworks than I can afford!

it's your show...personaly I think its to much unless you streatch them over a big span all at once..
    I love fountains..used to shoot a case of BC Rat-A-Tat Tat all at once..
    1st 3 cues of my fourth this year fountains kick it off..
    4 Grotesque Fntn / 1 Sky Rage/1 Big Fighter
    48 Sir Vesa
    12 Silver Razzle/4 Coconut Tree/2 Pyro Candy

i have done fountains the past couple shows to start things off. not too long about 3-4 minutes. the kids seem to love them for some reason? i run just the fountains until about their halfway point then light up a couple wheels to run simultaneously with the fountains. give fiery eye a look. so far i havent seen a wheel any better?
    "support the troops, support their cause"

Quote Originally Posted by blackbirdgo View Post
    i have done fountains the past couple shows to start things off. not too long about 3-4 minutes. the kids seem to love them for some reason? i run just the fountains until about their halfway point then light up a couple wheels to run simultaneously with the fountains. give fiery eye a look. so far i havent seen a wheel any better?
    I dont much care for fountains but I do make a "wheel board" with fiery eye, that was pretty cool.
    BATFE Type 54 Permitted
    God bless the USA

I always do fountain segments. Crowd loves them. Only 30 seconds to a minute though each like 2 or 3 of segments. Any fountains over 1 1/2 min. straight are too long. If they are longer than that then I start the next board. Timing and placement on fountain boards is crucial when using different ones. The ones that go longer need to be spaced out evenly so theres not like 2 on one end and 1 in the middle and none anywhere else.

Thinking some sparatic silver dragons, pearls or candles with them. angled or something. Some color in front of , say the bohemouths.
    Born Free.

I did a fountain front of 85 feet last year and they loved it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCj8GCGxpns

I loved it to so im not doing it again.
    Fireworks $3500
    Fuse, Tubes and Tape $1000
    Firing system $700
    Lighter $.99
    Standing Ovation after show PRICELESS

I don't think that would be too long just mix the effects up with some whiltes maybe some crackle so that the audince won't get bord with it.

Quote Originally Posted by A_pyro_rush View Post
    .....30 seconds to a minute....fountains over 1 1/2 min. straight are too long.....
    I agree with you on this.

Too much fountain is too much fountain when you have too much fountain.

wow! thats a lot of fountains, if I was to get those I would get them retail and only get like 5 fountains the most, but fountains could be cool, now days they are being very creative with them. To me that might be a little long but at least you will have a good ariel show.

If fountains are all you have then go for it. If you are mixing in other stuff, keep the fountains to around a minute. Maybe two segments spread through the show if you can figure out a transition. Otherwise, five minutes of fountains is to much.
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

MEMBER PGI
    Charter Member PTPG Fargo, ND

www.brookings-black-powder-fireworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by JoJo View Post
    Too much fountain is too much fountain when you have too much fountain.
    Say that real fast, 3 times, to the very next person you see.

You'll never get the statement there's too much of something from me in relation to fireworks, but I've never really been a fan of fountains. I was talking to a few of my friends, I think this goes back to our childhoods when we were banished to the "kiddy" fireworks our parents would light for us which usually consisted of a kukoo fountain, a volcano fountain (they used to be nice), and maybe some ground blooms. They were good times, but you always wished to see the adult stuff.

Anyways, I've been looking at some of the effects the new fountains have, and they're pretty nice. I think that 5 minutes might be a tad bit heavy, you probably should throw in a few either filler shells, or some small 200 grammers.
    -PGI member
    -HPA member
    -peace through superior firepower
    -crack doesn't smoke itself

Rule of thumb on any fireworks show is over 20 minutes starts to get boring. I’m sure most the folks on here that are allowed to shoot aerials would have a hard time relating to a 20 minute long fountain show, but for those of us that live were SnS is the only legal thing you can use things can be different.

I have to go with the cards that are dealt to me and that is to use SnS or take the chance of getting a fine. So I do stick to the rules and just use SnS but I’m not one to set one fountain on the ground at a time. I set up stands to get the fountain at least 5 feet off the ground and I like to shoot them in 3’s.

Any TRUE Pyro likes ALL fireworks and that being the case you can still have a nice show using just fountains, just use creativity an do a bunch to make up for the lack of aerials.

The OP seems to have the volume now it is all about using the creativity to use them in the best manner to show off what you can do with them.

Some of my fellow APWC pals were at my place last year and they can back me up when I say you an still get a bunch of people hooting and hollering with only SnS if you do it right. Particularly if you live in a place like California were people are used to only seeing one fountain being lit at a time on the ground. For these people the site of a fountain show that was setup with forethought was unheard of so when they saw it, it blew them away. I had one lady come up and say that she didn't really care for fireworks but with my show I used some form of choreography and it really made a big differance.

Have fun with it.
    APWC/ NPA/ WPA
    Tech copies: Fool me once shame on you... Fool me twice shame on me!

Member Array

The only 'fountain' I have is Ghost Ryder, and I only got that because it also shoots some volleys of shells. Figured it will be a nice start to a show...bore them with a fountain and then BANG BANG BANG some shells shoot out of it

If you use foutains like Showtimes Lava Lamp or Solar Storm (I think there are some like this under other brand names) or BP Tropical Fish.....I guarantee you that 5 minutes of those will not get old, they are magnificent. One note here, although fountains may tend to bore the diehard pyro, the crowds seem to really enjoy them........something to keep in mind before you write fountains off to quickly, they do have their place.
    Never fear....the 4th is less than a year..

megabanger flashy jewelry is a red then white then blue lava ( like americans fountain WC)

The colors are something else.

it only gets 10' or so so you want to be fairly close to it.
    Born Free.

Have fireworks. Will travel. Array JoeRatman's Avatar

Rule of thumb on any fireworks show is over 20 minutes starts to get boring. I’m sure most the folks on here that are allowed to shoot aerials would have a hard time relating to a 20 minute long fountain show, but for those of us that live were SnS is the only legal thing you can use things can be different.

I have to go with the cards that are dealt to me and that is to use SnS or take the chance of getting a fine. So I do stick to the rules and just use SnS but I’m not one to set one fountain on the ground at a time. I set up stands to get the fountain at least 5 feet off the ground and I like to shoot them in 3’s.
    I would agree fully. I have designed 20 minute long S&S shows. Despite what some "aerial bigots" might think, it is possible to design a professional quality S&S show that is entertaining and maintains the interest of the crowd. Though, it can be challenging and time consuming. E-fire and music is essential. There are a number of techniques you can use such as firing 2-5 fronts at once, using angled items, ground spinners, strobes, waterfalls, walls of fire, set pieces, wheels, z machines, placing items at different heights, varying the distance of items. It is important to get a variety of effects. One big advantage of S&S is that your audience can safely be closer to the items than aerails. This makes these items look more impressive. You can make sections in the show that showcase each effect with music. Then in the finale, you can bring them all together at once.

If you are not limited to only S&S, then by all means be creative and don't limit yourself to only aerials. If possible, add some ground items to your show to add some variety. Use whatever pyrotechnic devices you can use to make show interesting, with a variety of effects and devices.
    Last edited by JoeRatman; May 17th, 2009 at 10:42 AM.
    Licensed MN Outdoor Fireworks Operator
    Licensed MN Indoor/Proximate Fireworks Operator
    CDL with hazmat endorsement

Finally FOund a fountain i like!!!!

Fuss Bucket by Big Fireworks.

it starts like a normal boring fountain. . .and then it shoots out these cool spheres of fire and when they fall to the ground they go bouncing all around. they have a picture of Sonic the Hedge hog on them . . . i need more cases of these. mine were from 2 years ago. finally lit one.

http://www.bigfireworks.com/p-729-fuss-bucket.aspx

"
    Sure to Surprise You, this Item starts with a Fountain then Ejects Many Whirling Spinners that Bloom in Multi Colors on the Ground. Very Long Lasting as this Repeats 4 Times. For Best Results Place Item on A Hard Flat Surface Like Cement., Spinners Drop & Spin on the Ground* "