Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Revision of Ohio Consumer fireworks Laws -- Please sign and forward

Default Re: Revision of Ohio Consumer fireworks Laws -- Please sign and forward

All good points GK. On the surface though, if 1.4 were legal in Ohio, seems Phantom would sell even more. Unless, as you said, the licensing were reviewed. That said, I wonder...I mean they do have name recognition that no one else can match...a huge advertising campaign by a new competitor of course they wouldn't want....

Quote Originally Posted by russell View Post
    All good points GK. On the surface though, if 1.4 were legal in Ohio, seems Phantom would sell even more. Unless, as you said, the licensing were reviewed. That said, I wonder...I mean they do have name recognition that no one else can match...a huge advertising campaign by a new competitor of course they wouldn't want....
    Realistically, I'm not sure how much legalization would impact sales in Ohio. (sales to Ohio residents).
    I'm sure there is some segment that won't buy in Ohio and sign the 'lie sheet' saying they are being bought for use outside the state.

So if they are legal would you then have to have a permit to purchase them? (Like PA). Or would it be legal to buy/sell them only certain times of the year?

And would municpalities still have the ability to restrict their use?

My preference would be no restrictions other then those covered by other laws (noise, etc...) But there are ways of 'legalizing' 1.4 in Ohio that could make it even more restrictive than it is now....I guess this is a "Be careful what you wish for" warning.

GK
    Carpe Noctem

I guess this is a "Be careful what you wish for" warning
    Very true GK, but IYO. How much worse could it be? There are maybe a few states with have worse laws than Ohio, but not much worse.

So what would the general consensus be, I am not sure about paper petition, I prefer electronic these days. Much more efficient and fast for the signee. We just need to find a way to spread the word.

Youtube was a good idea, and has had 62 views as of now. An idea of mine is to have all the active participants in this send paper letters to as many reps as we can, and target the same reps as too overload them with our requests. This way they really get the message. If say 30 of us send letters a rep, this would have a nice effect I am sure. What do u all think of something like that?

Sorry for my lapse and inactivity, I have been in house remodel mode lately.
    Where's the @$#@# fuse on this thing???

i will write some letters. i'll post em here when i get em written. im in ne ohio and remodeling too

All I can say is that I've been shooting fireworks for over 20 years and I'm tired of looking over my shoulder. I have to agree with craigdog, I don't think it could get much worse. I'd be happy if they just allowed fountains. That would be a good start and things could be added down the road. I am new with writing letters to reps. Gimme a template, an address, and it's in the mail.

Quote Originally Posted by craigdog View Post
    Very true GK, but IYO. How much worse could it be? There are maybe a few states with have worse laws than Ohio, but not much worse.

So what would the general consensus be, I am not sure about paper petition, I prefer electronic these days. Much more efficient and fast for the signee. We just need to find a way to spread the word.

Youtube was a good idea, and has had 62 views as of now. An idea of mine is to have all the active participants in this send paper letters to as many reps as we can, and target the same reps as too overload them with our requests. This way they really get the message. If say 30 of us send letters a rep, this would have a nice effect I am sure. What do u all think of something like that?

Sorry for my lapse and inactivity, I have been in house remodel mode lately.
    What GK is saying is the law might be legal but be as or more restrictive as it is now. For example, instead of legalizing, they could very well go the other direction and outlaw everything, even sparklers, like NY. Or like Pennsylvania who does not allow it's own citizens to buy fireworks without a permit. However, with the amount of fireworks retailers, importers/wholesalers and sales from fireworks in Ohio, I don't think the law would become much more restrictive.

The paper petition that I was speaking of was to be distributed to retail fireworks outlets. Possibly a hard copy of the current one, that could be printed out as needed by the retailer. Think about it, a person would be more susceptible to signing the petition while filling out the "other paperwork". Filling out that paper every time just pisses me off. Signing the petition right next to the "other paperwork" would just about guarantee a signature...'Hey while you are filling that out, there is a petition attempting to legalize consumer fireworks in Ohio. Here is the petition and I would invite you to sign it after you are done with that form'...Got to get 'em when they're right there. If you give them a flier of some sorts to take home after a fireworks sale asking to go to the website and sign the petition, it might never get done. Just thrown off to the side and accomplishing nothing at what was set out to be accomplished. Don't get me wrong the internet petition is great, but alot more is needed, unfortunately. The You Tube ad I made has had 63 views current with this post. We had well over 100 signatures when it was posted, but 63 people have not signed the petition since it's posting. There are even 2 links to the petition in the video info section!

Quote Originally Posted by ALLREDFIRECRACKERS View Post
    All I can say is that I've been shooting fireworks for over 20 years and I'm tired of looking over my shoulder. I have to agree with craigdog, I don't think it could get much worse. I'd be happy if they just allowed fountains. That would be a good start and things could be added down the road. I am new with writing letters to reps. Gimme a template, an address, and it's in the mail.
    ALLRED, I wrote a two page letter to 3 senators and 3 reps. Part of the letter included excerpts from templates for contacting the powers that be thread, mainly post #11 which I have indicated a few times in this thread. Many thanks to ixfd64 for taking the time to put such letters together and compiling all the info. If anyone would like, they could PM me their email address and I could send the letter (MS Word document - .doc) that I submitted to the Ohio Legislators to get an idea. You are welcome to it's text and material, but adding, deleting, or paraphrasing some things might be better so the correspondences don't appear to be in a blanket letter form. I agree with craigdog...we need to just flood Columbus with these letters.

I also think we need to set up a network or a task force in a sense. Talk to each other on the phone to keep current. More can be said in a speaking conversation than typing.
    Shake The Pillars Of Heaven!
    Ohio Licensed Assistant
    Member NEOPG
    Cobra 18R2

We need to get a website going, the only name I can come up with is "fireworksoverohio.com", but that might be too long. I can get one setup if we can settle on a name, and everyone here can help with the design. A straight-to-the-point design I think would work best. Real simple, a facts page, pettition page, goverment contacts page, ect....

Quote Originally Posted by roreilly View Post
    We need to get a website going, the only name I can come up with is "fireworksoverohio.com", but that might be too long. I can get one setup if we can settle on a name, and everyone here can help with the design. A straight-to-the-point design I think would work best. Real simple, a facts page, pettition page, goverment contacts page, ect....
    Thats a good idea roreilly.

Some more ideas:

fireworksinohio.com

oflr.com (Ohio Fireworks Laws Revised.com)

lfio.com (Legalize Fireworks In Ohio.com)
    All these names are not registered and for sale.

I was going to say rofl.com, not rolling on floor laughing, but (Revise Ohio's Fireworks Laws.com)

Give facts on fireworks and negate the BS propaganda put out by the media.
    Ohio Licensed Assistant
    Member NEOPG
    Cobra 18R2

I ran into this video on Youtube. Kinda like the other one. Sholud help give it more exposure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3RK-...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by PyRo-MaNiAc View Post
    Thats a good idea roreilly.

Some more ideas:

fireworksinohio.com

oflr.com (Ohio Fireworks Laws Revised.com)

lfio.com (Legalize Fireworks In Ohio.com)
    All these names are not registered and for sale.
    A good domain is something people will easily remember. Oflr.com, lfio.com... yes it's an acronym but it's nondescript to most, tough to remember. fireworksinohio.com isn't flashy but is pretty good. And if we can add a .org on the end instead of .com that's even better.

ohiofreedom.org
    fireworksfreedom.org
    justabouteveryotherstatebutohioallowsfireworks.org

seems i lost this post

anyways

fireworksforall.org is avaliable

have'nt heard anything for awhile on this just checking to if anyone has any new info.

Here's the web site for the new General Assembly:

http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/

Nothing about fireworks has been introduced as far as I can tell. Of course it just opened this week but I'm not getting my hopes up that anything will change especially after the apartment house fire last summer in Toledo caused by firewoks being set off from it's roof.

Of course we can all hope for a change of heart because of the states economic problems -maybe potential tax revenue will override their anti-fireworks mindset.

I mailed out several presentation folders to state senators and representatives last year. Spent some money on it (preparing, postage, etc.) I was able to speak with a couple of them about a month afterward and they sounded interested. I was going to hit it again hoping to do something since this state is so broke; maybe to get legislation before the peak season of the fourth and memorial day (holding my breath .)

As I've said before in this thread...we need to bombard Columbus with letters. Write your state senator and representatives.
    Ohio Licensed Assistant
    Member NEOPG
    Cobra 18R2

Never going to happen.

We are talking about a state with a moratorium on new Magazines. Ohio doesn't need to make it any more legal. The sellers make a killing and it generates plenty of tax revenue already. I've never seen a fireworks store in Ohio without lines out the doors around the 4th. The product seems to fly off the shelves.

Member Array

i did it hope it helps

Quote Originally Posted by carp View Post
    Never going to happen.

We are talking about a state with a moratorium on new Magazines. Ohio doesn't need to make it any more legal. The sellers make a killing and it generates plenty of tax revenue already. I've never seen a fireworks store in Ohio without lines out the doors around the 4th. The product seems to fly off the shelves.
    Oh come on carp, quit looking at the glass half empty.

That moratorium is mandated by the State Fire Marshall, not the state legislature.

See if there is anyone you can talk to at the Bluegrass Pyrotechnic Guild. Every person that helps makes a difference.
    Ohio Licensed Assistant
    Member NEOPG
    Cobra 18R2

Quote Originally Posted by PyRo-MaNiAc View Post
    Oh come on carp, quit looking at the glass half empty.

That moratorium is mandated by the State Fire Marshall, not the state legislature.

See if there is anyone you can talk to at the Bluegrass Pyrotechnic Guild. Every person that helps makes a difference.
    It's state law forbidding the fire marshall from issuing licenses. ORC 3743.75.

In all my years of Ohio 4th of July's, never have I seen a lack of people shooting fireworks in their neighborhoods. Unfortunately the current laws work out fine for everyone. Some get tickets 'cuz they can't even grant the LEOs the courtesy of stopping so they don't have to come back a second time. Most don't want to deal with it but will if they have to come back.

I signed this!

Did this topic die?

Quote Originally Posted by Machete View Post
    I signed this!

Did this topic die?
    I don't think it ever died.

Ohio's 1.4g, and even the 1.3g, laws are so ridiculous, that it's hard to get them changed.

The last general assembly was trying to get something going, but the economy turned south and I think there were more important things on their minds. You would think that they would try and find every way to make money in this state...
    Ohio Licensed Assistant
    Member NEOPG
    Cobra 18R2

Purveyor of Cosmic Debris Array Jimbo's Avatar

Wow....sure hope this did't loose steam! I have signed and shared with a number of family. I am new to PU and just discovered the petition exists. I can't believe I am only #274. I will be sure to spread the word!