Thread: Rocket Tips

Member Array

Default Rocket Tips

Hey guys,
    This is a post of any tips that are needed in order to safely shoot rockets. Post any tips you guys might have. Also is it safe to shoot rockets out of pvc pipe?

Default Re: Rocket Tips

I would only use pvc as long as the head of the rocket is ouside the pipe.

As for other tips, I don't shoot them if it is overly windy. I also don't shoot them if there are structures nearby. Rockets are the one item that I don't feel real comfortable shooting. Well missiles are worse. I won't shoot those at all.

Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
    I would only use pvc as long as the head of the rocket is ouside the pipe.

As for other tips, I don't shoot them if it is overly windy. I also don't shoot them if there are structures nearby. Rockets are the one item that I don't feel real comfortable shooting. Well missiles are worse. I won't shoot those at all.
    What makes you so uncomfortable? I actually think rockets are the best to shoot for some reason. Thanks for the tips

Northeastern Pennsylvania Anthracite Coal Region. Avatar: "The Anthracite King"

I don't shoot them if it is overly windy.
    Always be sure to angle the rocket INTO the wind, never with the wind. I've successfully shot rockets into 35 MHP wind!

Rockets are the one item that I don't feel real comfortable shooting.
    Rockets are one of my favorite items to shoot, especially if I'm doing "drop and light" open shooting. No fuses to unwrap, racks to set up and load etc. One or 2 pieces of pipe is all that's needed, drop and light. Very simple, very easy.
    BATFE Type 54 Permittee
    http://www.coalregion.com/

Use the smallest diameter tube you can get while leaving enough room for the stick to freely slide. This keeps the skyrocket as straight as possible while its leaving the launcher. I also angle mine a good 10 degrees away from the crowd. That way nobody gets hit with the stick after it is done doing its thing.
    9th annual Saint Louis Shoot - Sept 11 - 14
    Midwest Fireworks Festival - Mentone, IN. Sept. 12-15
    www.WikiFireworks.com

PGI Member | HPA Member
    BATFE 54 | CDL B w/Hazmat

They just have always been less predictable to me than shells for instance. I don't hate them, and I ordered a case this year. They also seem to be the primary firestarter of fireworks. The sticks can come down smoldering.