Thread: Melrose Pyro

Default Melrose Pyro

Anyone here a member or heard of Melrose Pyrotecnics? Their out of Indiana I think and do the the Wizard shows

g
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me,
    Than a frontal lobotomy

Default Re: Melrose pryo

I believe Melrose is based in Chicago. They do have satellites out there though. I know they shoot the White Sox as well as others.

Member Array

My first 3 shows were with Melrose and they were from NC.
    Bixler Pyrotechnics, Inc
    www.bixlerpyrotechnics.com
    BATFE Type 20/51 Permitted
    Member Pennsylvania Pyrotechnic Artists
    Member Crackerjacks
    Member PGI
    PGI Certified
    Hazmat Endorsed

I used to work for Melrose. I still am good friends with Mike Cartollano, one the owners. They do have remote locations, I cant remember where all of them are. As previously mentioned, I know one is in North Carolina. I believe it is still run by Tom, who used to be Mikes right hand man at the main plant. They are actually located in Kingsbury, Indiana. When I worked for them, they imported a lot and manufactured a bit, including my favorite effect called a Majestic Arching Transformation. Melrose liked the effect so much, they acutally bought the rights to it and hired the technician that invented them for Star Fireworks (as I recall).

Scott

Yea, Kingsbury, IN. is where one is. Buddy of mine helped with the White Sox shows a few years back. They've been in that area a long time.(Kingsbury) I hear them testing product a lot. My father-in-law lives a few miles from the testing zone.

While attending a wake last year for my aunts mother, another family member asked me if I still shot fireworks and I said yes. We then started talking about it more and my aunt overheard us. She then went on to tell me how her cousin is one of the owners of Melrose, wasn't mike though. I want to say his name was Bob. Talk about a small world. I wonder if they'd hire me....
    "THOSE THINGS WERE GO-GETTIN ALL OVER THE GROUND"

ACE PYRO, LLC
    ILLINOIS SALES REPRESENTATIVE
    LEAD PYROTECHNIC OPERATOR

Melrose is also the company who does the stuff for Navy Pier in ChicAGO
    "Watch The Flower, Smell the Powder, Feel the Power!"

PGI MEMBER

Member of the HPA
    APA shooter cert

Quote Originally Posted by Orangie View Post
    Melrose is also the company who does the stuff for Navy Pier in ChicAGO
    If it's in Chicago, you can bet your ass it's a melrose show. One exception is the The Magnificent Mile Lights Festival. I believe that's a Lumina show. I worked with a guy who seems to think he'll get the Chicago show because "he's the best" and he'll "do a better show than anyone". Or so he says. Ego much? Now Navy Peir, which is a privately owned company does two shows a week from Memorial Day through Labor Day with a price tag of over 300,000 dollars while the city of Chicago spends around 90k on the 3rd of July 50k of which actually makes it into the display...

I also think they get a hell of a discount on red and green peonies.
    "THOSE THINGS WERE GO-GETTIN ALL OVER THE GROUND"

ACE PYRO, LLC
    ILLINOIS SALES REPRESENTATIVE
    LEAD PYROTECHNIC OPERATOR

Melrose also shoots the Pelicans games in Myrtle Beach...
    SC 1126 Class B Fireworks Display Expires 03/2011
    SC 1123 Proximate Audience Dislpay Expires 03/2011
    Class C Dot Haz-mat 2013

Member Array

Done a show last night 10-04-08 with a guy that works with melrose, The contact that he has is in charlotte they have a website if you will search melrose pyro you should find it. They seem to have pretty good, quality shows, $3500.00 went a long way for us. The few shows that I have helped with, all came from Melrose. I hear Hale artificial located in lexington NC is pretty good also, the same guy that I helped last night uses them some also.

Quote Originally Posted by matski35 View Post
    If it's in Chicago, you can bet your ass it's a melrose show. One exception is the The Magnificent Mile Lights Festival. I believe that's a Lumina show. I worked with a guy who seems to think he'll get the Chicago show because "he's the best" and he'll "do a better show than anyone". Or so he says. Ego much? Now Navy Peir, which is a privately owned company does two shows a week from Memorial Day through Labor Day with a price tag of over 300,000 dollars while the city of Chicago spends around 90k on the 3rd of July 50k of which actually makes it into the display...

I also think they get a hell of a discount on red and green peonies.
    Barges don't come cheap especially these days (fuel prices) and especially in Chicago. The push for those shows can be 2 hours or 7 hours depending on traffic and weather conditions. The price tag sound nice but after expenses there's not much left.

Chicagoland is a tough market, and you always wonder what the 'real story' is behind who gets the contracts and why. 'Nuff said.

GK
    Carpe Noctem

Quote Originally Posted by GK View Post
    Chicagoland is a tough market, and you always wonder what the 'real story' is behind who gets the contracts and why. 'Nuff said.
    GK
    It's not a tough market, it's a closed market. Melrose and Mad Bomber shoot I would guess more than 80% of Chicago and it's suburbs. The shitbags that own Melrose and Mad Bomber have been working tirelessly to close the market in the entire state with some pretty significant success. Both companies are based out of IN but do a lot of business nationally. I'm pretty sure Melrose originated in Melrose Park in the 60's but moved to IN a few decades ago.

Quote Originally Posted by cplmac View Post
    It's not a tough market, it's a closed market. Melrose and Mad Bomber shoot I would guess more than 80% of Chicago and it's suburbs. The shitbags that own Melrose and Mad Bomber have been working tirelessly to close the market in the entire state with some pretty significant success. Both companies are based out of IN but do a lot of business nationally. I'm pretty sure Melrose originated in Melrose Park in the 60's but moved to IN a few decades ago.
    melrose and mad bombers are a half mile apart in kingbury industrial park in kingsbury in i use to work for bombers what a shit hole they dont take ur taxes out and then hit u wit a 10/99 for shit u didnt even shoot

\
    www.centralstatesfireworks.com
    Lead Pyrotechnician/Sales
    Illinois Explosives/Lead Pyro Licensed
    And a Hellava nice guy!

Member Array

One of Melrose Regional Offices is Catawba SC for the Southeast. Just outside of Rockhill.

At one time their Mags were within my personal Compound with others, but now are located about 20 miles from ours.

Although they are competition to me now, The SC office has some pretty decent people in it. I shot for them for years.

Fireworks are like all businesses....competition. Some many be more competitive than others...this is where client satisfaction and/or the numbers are required.

Rick
    ATF-User of High Explosives
    ATF-Manuf. Theatrical Powder
    SC- Unlimited indoor/Close Prox/Special Effects
    SC-Unlimited Class B Display
    Director Of Operations-Bay Fireworks South

Quote Originally Posted by ghummel View Post
    Anyone here a member or heard of Melrose Pyrotecnics? Their out of Indiana I think and do the the Wizard shows

g
    Here is their website. http://www.melrosepyro.com/home2.asp

I have worked for them for about 12 years. You can contact Garry Poe at Kingsbury IN. office he coordinates most of the shows

snipped from their web page

Display Technicians

Melrose Pyrotechnics is seeking lead technicians and technician trainees. Interested individuals may contact us via E-mail tom@melrosepyro.com or send resumes to:

Melrose Pyrotechnics, Inc.
    P.O. Box 302
    Kingsbury, In. 46345

You must be at least 18 years old to qualify as a trainee.

hope this helps

Brian
    Police arrested two kids yesterday, one was drinking battery acid, the other was eating fireworks. They charged one and let the other one off.Tommy Cooper

Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by GK View Post
    Barges don't come cheap especially these days (fuel prices) and especially in Chicago. The push for those shows can be 2 hours or 7 hours depending on traffic and weather conditions. The price tag sound nice but after expenses there's not much left.

GK
    the market is tough for a small company or a new company.
    companies like bombers or melrose are entrenched and have a huge advantage in the fact they order 30+ cans per year.

another advantage the big companies have is a few years back they passed some legislation that basically makes things harder to do for smaller companies.

Member Array

You must be at least 18 years old to qualify as a trainee.

hope this helps

Brian[/QUOTE]

21 In South Carolina...Even as a trainee (once product arrives on site). 18-21 can set racks and load trucks. State has their own guidelines above NFPA.

RIck
    ATF-User of High Explosives
    ATF-Manuf. Theatrical Powder
    SC- Unlimited indoor/Close Prox/Special Effects
    SC-Unlimited Class B Display
    Director Of Operations-Bay Fireworks South