Thread: ATF 54 permit visit

network1-1

Default ATF 54 permit visit

Just thought I would post my experience with the Type 54 permit process in Indiana. I am using contingency storage and had a visit from an ATF agent from the Indianapolis office this morning to complete the permit cycle. Everything went great. It was basically a meet and greet session to go over the app and the ATF rules like record keeping and storage requirements. The agent was very helpful with my questions about storage and what kind of locks to use should I decide to start storing the product my self. Most of the requirements didnít pertain to me due to contingency storage but was very good info none the less. I should be receiving my permit in approx 2 weeks. Glad the process is over! This is a great forum. I am new here and have already read tons of info everyone has posted.

Keep it safe.

Member Array

Default Re: ATF 54 permit visit

Congratulations!
    If you don't mind me asking, how long did the process take?

network1-1

I mailed in my app on Jan 4th. On March 8th I hadn't heard anything so I called the Atlanta office to check the status and was told it was still being processed. The very next day (3-9) I had an agent call to set up a meeting which was on 3-14. The meeting lasted about and hour and a half, but only about 35 minutes of that pertained to the permit itself the rest of the time was chit chat about our hobbies.

Northeastern Pennsylvania Anthracite Coal Region. Avatar: "The Anthracite King"

I mailed my application November 28, 2005 and got called for the interview February 21, so it took almost 3 months. I had the interview February 28 and received the permit March 6, a surprising 6 days after the interview.
    BATFE Type 54 Permittee
    http://www.coalregion.com/

Member Array

Who did you go to to make your fingerprint cards?

The Pennsylvania State Police do it free of charge. If you live in Pa go to their web site for locations and times.
    BATFE Type 54 Permittee

Special Note:

Without looking at the link, please note to all fellow Pyro's applying for Type 54 or a permit that requires the fingerprint cards. The permit process requires FD-258 fingerprint cards! These I think are an FBI standard and MAY not be the same that is used by the State and Local Police Departments. If you do NOT submit your fingerprints on a FD-258 fingerprint card done by an officer of the Law, your application will be rejected/postponed until the correct finger print cards are submitted. Note - the correct finger print cards come with your packet.

In this case a PA State Trooper can certainly perform the finger printing (and if it's done free of charge that's GREAT), but please ensure it's free when using the FD-258 and not the PA State Police's native finger printing method. Again, this may not be the case - the PA State Troopers may still do it for free - but ensure the correct finger printing card is used.

Just a helpful tip....
    BATFE FEL Permittee
    IL & MO Lead Operator
    Voting Member, NFPA
    PGI Member
    CDL Class C License w/Hazmat Endorsement & J-10 Restriction
    BHFPD Firefighter & Illinois First Responder Defibrillator

Member Array

A very useful hint, too. You can download the application packet from the BATF Web site, but you still need to contact them and have them mail you the fingerprint card.

I'm in NY so I needed two separate fingerprint cards, one for NYS and one for the BATF. The NY State Police cheerfully did both sets of fingerprints for free.

You need to use the correct fingerprint cards, but you do NOT need to be printed by an officer of the law. In the times that i have been printed for federal licenses, cops suck at printing if they use real ink. if they use the digital printing, then its cool. by me, they don't use ink much anymore, so they don't have practice with it and fog up the prints.

the security guy at my work does the BEST printing i have seen. i used him the last two times for my cards. neither got rejected by the ATF/FBI.

Craig

What yeagerb stated is correct. You must have the FD-258 fingerprint card. I think it states on the cards that they must be taken to a law enforcement agency for completion. The FD-258 is what I took to the Pa State Police Barracks for printing. As I said, this was done free of charge. The trooper doing the printing asked what it was for more out of curiosity than anything else. When I explained he simply responded "oh, so you're going to work with the big stuff", and proceeded to do the prints. They did keep a copy of the prints for their file as standard procedure.

Again, the FD-258 cards are easily ordered from the ATF web site in the forms section, but I think a set was also sent with the packet for the Type 54 Permit.
    Last edited by matandch; March 16th, 2006 at 02:05 PM.
    BATFE Type 54 Permittee

network1-1

I am a consultant for our local sheriff dept's computer system and I had my prints done there, even though I work there I was charged a $5 admin fee, "Budget Crunch"! You have to use the federal print card as the ones the local offices have will not work. Have to be a federal FD-258. I was sent several copies in my application package. As stated in previous post the app will be rejected if prints are done on any other card. You can order all of the required forms and fingerprint card online at http://www.atf.gov/dcof/ or call (703) 455-7801.

Member Array

I have the cards the NLC sent me, looks like they are the FD-258 so I'll check and see if the county police or sheriffs office can print me. I have print cards done for my DOD background check but they aren't stamped with the correct info for this.

Thanks for the help!

just checked my 258s, no wording saying police official need be the person doing the printing.

flash

Quote Originally Posted by network1-1
    Just thought I would post my experience with the Type 54 permit process in Indiana. I am using contingency storage and had a visit from an ATF agent from the Indianapolis office this morning to complete the permit cycle. Everything went great. It was basically a meet and greet session to go over the app and the ATF rules like record keeping and storage requirements. The agent was very helpful with my questions about storage and what kind of locks to use should I decide to start storing the product my self. Most of the requirements didnít pertain to me due to contingency storage but was very good info none the less. I should be receiving my permit in approx 2 weeks. Glad the process is over! This is a great forum. I am new here and have already read tons of info everyone has posted.

Keep it safe.
    what is contingency storage

Member Array

Contingency storage is using someone else's storage facility, such as a wholesaler's. Just have to see if you have a place nearby and if they'd be willing to work with you.

Quote Originally Posted by craig101
    just checked my 258s, no wording saying police official need be the person doing the printing.
    Craig101,

You may want to request a new set of FD-258 finger print cards from the NELC as the law officer performing the fingerprinting has to sign off on the finger print cards.

Contigency Storage - It doesn't necessarily have to be a wholesaler, it can be someone with a certified magazine and the magazine has to be large enough in the Field Agents judgement to be able to handle the licensed owner's needs and the folks who he's letting use as contigency storage (in lbs). For example, if you have a magazine that's certified for 1000 lbs or less, you probably will be limited on the number of contigency letters you can send out, or more likely the Field Agent may make a call on the number. It's worth discussing with a Field Agent first before allowing contigency storage out of your own magazine.
    Last edited by yeagerb; April 1st, 2006 at 06:07 AM.
    BATFE FEL Permittee
    IL & MO Lead Operator
    Voting Member, NFPA
    PGI Member
    CDL Class C License w/Hazmat Endorsement & J-10 Restriction
    BHFPD Firefighter & Illinois First Responder Defibrillator

New Member Array

I also am anewbie to aqquiring my type 54 permit. Now im in the waiting mode. However a word of caution to all entering this field. NEVER underestimate the stupidity of local government!!!!
    I actually went and built my type 4 magazine I bought a 8x10 steel container. I lined the walls and floor with wood ,held in by aluminum screws. Installled 1/" steel lockboxes, Installed 5 pin tumber and 7/16 " shackle padlocks The works. ALl this was setup to the stringest specs. those indicated by the feds not the state of NY. State of NY calls for 75' from inhabited bldg feds is 150' ANyhow day of inspection. 2 ATF guys /fire marshall/local fire chief and a town zoning cronie who basiclly knew nothing. He brought out his copy of the NFPA. To back up a bit before i ever did anything i went to the town and asked them about ordinances that would permit me to have a type 4 on my property! They stated we have no ordinanace but suggested to me i must follow guidelines in The NFPA book. Ok no problem they are same as ATF guidlines. All these guys were here 4 weeks ago. The atf guys were amazed at the good job i did and approved the mag. everyone else was happy if they were. However the town zoning offcer Says we cant give approval because its not within limits??????????? ATF guys said its within ATF /STATE and Fire. The town officer says we go for the MAximum distance required for any explosive container!! The wanted 450' from inhabited 650 from roadways etc . Then wanted a barrier of dirt concrete etc. Then told me to get anywher i would need a variance. He also told me chances are i wouldnt get it because im in an agricultural area? anyhow now i have 1000 investment in stone a container i cant use. etc. LAst minute i made a valant effort to keep my permit alive and got a couple contingency sights. The ATF guys suggested that. Thats the problem with our government! If the ATF is happy then everyone else should acept it. LAck of knowledge on my towns part makes them think im another tim mc veigh. Im mean seroiusly i might store up to 600 lbs but for no more that a couple weeks at a time maybe 3 times a year?? Just a quick heads up for you guys. BTW got my fingerprints done from a Sherrrifs investigator who does it as a sideline and uses the proper card. $10.00
    Its been over 2 weeks since all my paperwork was closed out and still nothing heard?? Guessing all the stuff from Buffalo NY office went back to Atalanta, then here????
    TAke care
    Rich

Member Array

Ok. So let me see if I've got this right........

-To buy fireworks and store them temporarily, you need a type 54 license? Is this for 1.4 or 1.3 or all of the above?
    -And to have the storage facility approved, I'd have to conform not only to ATF, but to the AHJ, who might have more stringent rules, or just be less educated, thus being more scared. LoL
    -Finger prints are to be placed on an FD-258 finger card, which can be copied and stored at the local PD, or other agency, and can only be sent by the BATF?

Sounds legit!!