Thread: DR-11 vs DR-9

Default DR-11 vs DR-9

Dont know if this is even ok to post here so mods delete if not. Heres my thing everything i've read here suggests SDR-11 is THE tube diamater of choice for all consumer shells. I just got back from a "test" shoot and someone there was shooting out of an SDR-9 rack, the shells were Rambo's (cannister)and Double Impact (Double break peanut shells) by Beihei. The shells fit much snugger in the DR-9 but did not have to be forced at all and the height acheived by the burst charge was a good 40 feet higher (estimating obviously) out of the SDR-9 tubes vs the SDR-11. Also the cannisters fill all tubes tighter than ball shells and even more so than the multiple break shells which in general have a smaller diameter, I was actually dissappointed in the height of the double breaks out of the DR-11's. (Due to blow by) To further complicate this, i have repeatedly read that there is no noticable height from lift charge difference between 12" and 15" tubes, tonite i saw at least a 20' difference in height with same shells out of diffrent length tubes, both SDR-11, A little frustrated since i have just assembled 8 racks (200 tubes) all with DR-11 and most of them 12" in the last few weeks. If anyone else shoots out of DR-9 would like to here of problems, if any. Bottom line..... performance of SDR-9 15" tubes was night and day better than SDR-11 12" tubes. Comments please!
    Last edited by shrapnel; March 11th, 2006 at 02:23 AM.
    Dominator Fireworks China Fireworks Manufacturer email ed1@dominatorfireworks.com
    The St Louis Shoot check it out! www.stlshoot.com

Default Re: DR-11 vs DR-9

I have heard of people using sdr-9 for 11/2 inch shells because of the smaller diameter.

Member Array

use DR11, that is what all the Mfg use. Not all shells will fit in dr9, a little loose is safer than to tight.

I have 2 sdr-9 racks. One of which is only 10" tall, the other is 14" including the plugs. I'm thinking the difference in height is due to the sdr-9 tubes being a tighter fit. I used some racks made by a friend out of sdr-11 and they were originally 18" he said, but he cut them down to 15" or so. These are a much looser fit, so much so that I hesitate to shoot the smaller 1.75" shells out of them! Some of these shells got LESS altitude than the ones in the SHORTER sdr-9!!!

In the sdr-9, the fatter shells, like Rambos, Beihai's bouquet tail shells, Bros Airhawk/Bad Boy type cans, etc are very tight- the bouquet tails won't fit at all! this results in a tremendously loud lift, and some serious height-even out of the 10"ers! Most shells have to be pushed down a bit to make sure they are seated on the plug. I do not reload these for that reason.

IMO, the main issue surrounding tube legnth, is that most single break retail shells are fused for use in 11-13" tubes, and so come up short in the 15's. For instance, Maxblast shells come with a 13" tall mortar, with a usable inner depth of 11.75". If I use them with the included tube from the Excal kit, they come up short! In my experience, no normally functional shell has broken dangerously low for me from my 10" tubes. I've even shot triples out of them!

You should be fine with the 12" size, Shrapnel. Personally, a difference of 20' est in height is not an issue if you are following proper procedure for distances to people or other exposures. If it still bothers you, I'd suggest either avoiding smaller diameter shells, or taping them to make them fatter.

I bought some doubles that came with tubes that are apx 2" in diameter, and these shells are on the skinny side. Shot out of the included tubes they still attained a decent height, but did better out of narrower tubes. ALL the stars burned out WELL before they reached an unsafe height, with the stock tube.

No, it wansn't a concern about safety, the shells were breaking "high enough" alhough out of 20 shells there was three or so that burning stars made it to the ground or very close from the outside tubes on the angle racks, It is an issue of the most professional 1.4 display possible. I'm not yet sure if x-cals or SnM type shells will fit the SDR-9 But the Max Blast and Rambo's fit nicely as will anything smaller wich includes the vast majority of consumer shells. If there is an issue with the x-cals, SnM, or maybe the shotgun shells, i'm more than happy to keep my SDR-11 for those few exceptions. It's simpy my search for the best i can get and with my own eyes, SDR-9 15" tubes blow away the SDR-11's The thunp from the tubes is as close as you'll get to a 1.4g salute and the extra 40' in height combine to make a much more professional show. If the biggest cannisters wont fit, thats a good thing, no chance of loading the wrong shells in the wrong tubes, I'm not suggesting manufacturers change their tube size, but for the "serious hobbyist" the results are much more satisfactory. And i am aware of the fuse length issues and as we know, the tightness of the tubes is what makes the biggest difference so even a 12" SDR-9 would be a MAJOR inprovement and probably only makes sense to alleviate issues with suspended shells, this may sound like a pain in the a** to some but i for one am willing to build different racks for different shells if neccessary, If you dont, my display will be better than yours!
    Last edited by shrapnel; March 11th, 2006 at 09:33 AM.
    Dominator Fireworks China Fireworks Manufacturer email ed1@dominatorfireworks.com

Thanks for the input Pyroman, it sounds like you too would prefer SDR-9 when applicable.

Mostly I want sdr-11. The 9 is too tight for most of my shells, they have to be pushed down. I'd say it is worth having some 9 around, though for the multi breaks and smaller diameter shells.

I plan to stick with the 12" legnth. Most of the shells I shoot are fused for that legnth, and extending fuse is a tedious PITA! The multis that you'd want the longer tubes for are usually slightly smaller in diameter than the singles, using sdr-9 for them might help increase height by reducing blow-by. Makes for impressively loud lifts, too!

We've had this discussion before, the general consensus has been that if a shell fits "easily" into the SDR-9 pipe, then use it. As you've demonstrated, you'll get better lift performance from the smaller diameter. The SDR-9 also has a thicker wall and higher pressure rating than SDR-11.
    To get the right word in the right place is a rare achievement. - Mark Twain

Pyro Haiku
    If we burn money,
    Might as well be colorful
    And make lots of noise.

When we first started out, we used SDR9, and found too many people had issues with their shells not fitting right and went with the industry standard of DR11 1.91" ID.

Yes, it is prefered to us the DR9 when the shell will fit, but like on our new years eve shoot this year, of the 300+ shells in the finale, only 45 of them were small enough to be used in DR9.

Shrapnel.... We have a bunch of DR9 here that we were not able to use because if was actually a mis-run from the producer, about .05 smaller than usuall if your interested since your so close.
    Noel

You know it! I'll call you tomorrow Noel.

Noel, can I order racks from pyrogear and get them with DR9?

Thanks,
    Rudy
    Rudy

Member of H.P.A.
    Member in good standing of Double D's PPP club

Quote Originally Posted by noel
    Shrapnel.... We have a bunch of DR9 here that we were not able to use because if was actually a mis-run from the producer, about .05 smaller than usuall if your interested since your so close.
    What's the measured diameter for this DR-9? I may be interested in what Schrapnel doesn't take. Is it already cut-n-plugged mortars, or just lengths of tube?
    To get the right word in the right place is a rare achievement. - Mark Twain

Pyro Haiku
    If we burn money,
    Might as well be colorful
    And make lots of noise.

Normal DR9 is 1.81 I believe, this stuff is 1.75ish.

We'll see what Shrap wants and let you know what's left. This is all stuff in the personal stash.
    Noel