PDA

View Full Version : Another switch question

Jeffdmb
February 9th, 2006, 10:51 PM
Sorry, I'm sure many of you will think this is a dumb question.

I'm looking at expanding my firing system for this summer. My question is how do I know what switches will be compatable with my system. I am using a 12V battery. Many switches have a current rating and I guess I'm confused as to how you know how much current is going to the switch.

http://www.futurlec.com/Switches/PRRED.shtml

I was thinking of getting some switches like this for my system. Will they work? (ya I really don't know much when it comes to stuff like this)

dfluke
February 9th, 2006, 10:56 PM
I'm interested too. Those switches look like they might work, but I can't be 100% sure. What I do know is that the website you're using seems to have the lowest prices.

I'm currently shopping for multi conductor wire, something like 22awg 8 - 12 conductor. I'm finding some, but it's rather expensive:(

johnny_boomboom
February 10th, 2006, 04:40 AM
Dustin,

Try wholesale distributors for the wire...Graybar Electric, Accu-tech corp, Communications supply corp... for riser cable (pvc) it sould be about 75-100 per 1000'

pyro4life
February 10th, 2006, 04:58 AM
Those switches will work. They are rated 6A at 120vac and would have a higher amp rating at lower voltages. I am currently using the same switches and have had no problems.

dfluke,
The problem with wire right now is that the cost has more that doubled over the past 2 years. Used to be able to get 12/2 copper romex for $25 per 250' roll and now it's around $60. It's about to make a major jump up as copper is becoming very precious. A month ago you could get about $.90 a pound for scrap copper, now it's close to $2 a pound. It's causing major problems around here.

JoeRatman
February 10th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Oh yes those switches will work fine. I have used switches rated the same as that in all my firing panels. Only once did I have one go bad. If you pushed it down, would sometimes stick. It was due to a bad spring not because of burning out.

In regards to amperage DC ratings and AC ratings for switches. On switches that have both DC rating as well as the AC rating, that I have seen, it usually states that the amperage for 125V AC is the same amperage that can be used with 28V DC. So it might say 3@250V AC, 6@125V AC and 6@28V DC. This might be rather conservative, but since I have seen it many times on switches where 125 AC amperage matches the 28V DC amperage, so I just go by that rule as well.

I was also told of somebody who used 3@125V AC mini push button switches in a firing system and he had trouble with a number of them burning out.

Jeffdmb
February 10th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Ok thanks guys!

harddrive8
February 10th, 2006, 03:19 PM
for a pushbutton almost identical to this for about half the price you can search for item 51-244 at http://www.hosfelt.com/. It's rated at 3A @ 125V which is still more than enough. Thats the only difference between the two switches I see on the specs. And not to mention the $.29 each price...

pyro4life
February 11th, 2006, 01:20 AM
The thing I liked about futurlec is that they only charge $4 shipping no matter what you order. It's nice to order a lot at once. I got a bunch of insulated alligator clips from there along with all of my switches. Good selection IMO