PDA

View Full Version : Phantom at Kmart

stuntborg
May 22nd, 2007, 07:57 PM
I stopped at KMart today and they had their phantom fireworks display set up. This is the third year that they have been selling and I was just wondering if anyone else as seen this. Prices really aren't bad for retail.

graybeard
May 23rd, 2007, 03:50 AM
In what City and State ?

craigdog
May 23rd, 2007, 05:47 AM
Phantom has those $&$ stands everywhere here in OH. Easy money i bet.

Randall
May 23rd, 2007, 05:57 AM
TNT at Walmart, Sams, and Meijers last year .(all S&S). They used to be outside in tents, but last year they had displays up by the checkout lanes. Never seen any other brands in them, but I'll notice if they do.

bob weaver
May 23rd, 2007, 06:05 AM
Phantom has an exclusive deal with Kmart, and TNT has an exclusive deal with Wal-Mart. Even in the Kmarts in California, you see "assortments" of party poppers and snappers with the Phantom brand.

Jack Leonard
May 23rd, 2007, 10:07 AM
Here in Maryland, Wal-Mart, Sam's, and Giant Food all go with TNT while Phantom has Weiss Markets, Sheetz, and Rite Aid. While TNT has the parking lot rights at Wal-Mart, Elkton Sparkler(Nitro) sets up shop inside the store.

I get an unbelievable rush when I walk into a nearby store and see the fountains piled up high on the pallets. My wife says it is a disease; I say it's a reason to live!

Jack:)

leeca
May 23rd, 2007, 10:22 AM
I get an unbelievable rush when I walk into a nearby store and see the fountains piled up high on the pallets. My wife says it is a disease; I say it's a reason to live!

Jack:)Oh then it is not just me.. My wife thinks I need to see a shrink..:eek:

k1ley4evr
May 23rd, 2007, 10:23 AM
at a target over here in chicago they had the tnt stuff out. There was a smoke rocket. I wonder how that one is.

Jack Leonard
May 23rd, 2007, 12:03 PM
Are sparklers still legal in Chicago? I know that a few years ago an over zealous politician was trying to ban them to "protect the children."

k1ley4evr
May 23rd, 2007, 12:31 PM
not sure if its banned or not. cuz nomatter wat the law is, anything goes on the 4th around here.

fashionheadhunter
May 23rd, 2007, 12:59 PM
I guess it would be nice if Wal-Mart and Target sold fireworks themselves-that would bring down the price.

Can you imagine a Wal-Mart superstore with about 10 aisles of fireworks? That would be sweet!

Course it would never happen because of liability issues, but it would be the one product that no one would bitch about being imported from China....

Randall
May 23rd, 2007, 01:17 PM
Instead of the blue light special, it'll have to be the purple light special!

bbd4193
May 23rd, 2007, 02:59 PM
Giant carries Phantom here in southeast Pa. They have not put there stuff out yet. Sheetz has had there Phantom stuff out on display since the beginning of May.
Sam's Club And WalMart have had there TNT stuff out for about a week now. All S&S assortments $15 to $200. The packaging on the $200 S&S assortment a Sam's Club is very misleading because on the side of the box they have individual pictures of large aerial breaks. Since this is Pa nothing can leave the ground but I bet a lot of people will buy it because they think they're getting aerials.

akmojo73
May 23rd, 2007, 03:19 PM
Yea, In VA, TNT, was in the Food Lions, S&S. Betcha phantom had a little display at the sheetz,,I did not go into the K-Mart here so I don't know? But I do know it will not be BOGO.

stuntborg
May 23rd, 2007, 03:56 PM
For good or bad it was the Phantom at Kmart that got me into fireworks. The wife convinced me to spend $30 bucks on July 5th when everything was truly half price. Picked up a New York Harbor fountain for something like $10 or $15. I remember lighting it off and wondering if it was ever going to end.

akmojo73
May 23rd, 2007, 04:31 PM
For good or bad it was the Phantom at Kmart that got me into fireworks. The wife convinced me to spend $30 bucks on July 5th when everything was truly half price. Picked up a New York Harbor fountain for something like $10 or $15. I remember lighting it off and wondering if it was ever going to end. I'd Like to try a few of them:)

bob weaver
May 23rd, 2007, 04:34 PM
NY Harbor Fountain is 3 minutes 38 seconds. But their Apache Firedance is 3 minutes 44 seconds.

pyro_casper_13
May 23rd, 2007, 06:37 PM
Wow 3 minutes?? and the price for them is not bad at all.

PyroInTheMaking
May 23rd, 2007, 07:00 PM
Here in Maryland, Wal-Mart, Sam's, and Giant Food all go with TNT while Phantom has Weiss Markets, Sheetz, and Rite Aid. While TNT has the parking lot rights at Wal-Mart, Elkton Sparkler(Nitro) sets up shop inside the store.

I coudn't believe when I walked down to my local Weis that they had their Phantom product up already. It's way earlier than last year. Superfresh also has TNT products.

RPS
May 23rd, 2007, 08:17 PM
Yeah, growing up in Seattle, which bans all fireworks, I was surprised and disproportionately excited when I saw the grocery stores selling fountains in Portland. I had to buy some just for the novelty value, and now I buy a few fountains each year to keep myself amused before I go back to WA to shoot my real stuff.

Safeway here has TNT, I think I saw Phantom at Fred Meyer last year, I'll check once the legal selling season starts. There are also TNT stands, and the local cheap stuff membership store sells generic stuff and I think some TNT. I'm planning on exploring who has what and getting some pictures, but fireworks can only be sold in OR the week or so leading up to the 4th.

Jack Leonard
May 24th, 2007, 05:36 AM
I visited the local Wal-Mart here in North East, MD, last evening. Their Nitro Brand fireworks are out! Assortments galore and a number of BOGO larger fountains. I'll hit Weis tonight on the way home and see what Phantom has to offer this year.

It's a very exciting time of the year, isn't it!

firework12
May 31st, 2007, 02:26 PM
at a target over here in chicago they had the tnt stuff out. There was a smoke rocket. I wonder how that one is.

It is actually not an aerial rocket...it is a rocket that spews out smoke. I remember seeing these when I was younger and staring at them, thinking they were aerial rockets. But after a few minutes of reading the packages/examining the rocket, I knew it wasn't "the real thing."

skiracer88_00
June 6th, 2007, 05:12 PM
K-Mart by me was selling some pretty misleading phantom products if you ask me. this is almost as rediculous as black cats 12" tubes. Why do fireworks companies feel the need to mislead consumers lately?

http://www.fireworks.com/fireworks_gallery/photo.asp?pid=840

http://www.fireworks.com/fireworks_gallery/photo.asp?pid=831

skiguy7070
June 7th, 2007, 07:57 PM
in OH they're everywhere as well. I see countless people getting suckered into thinking they are getting an assortment firecrackers and fountains when its all smoke and a few sparklers...

RPS
June 7th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Why do fireworks companies feel the need to mislead consumers lately?

It's nothing new, but it certainly is annoying...

http://amnt.vox.com/library/post/deceptive-fireworks-packaging.html

Luckily we know better!

pyro_casper_13
June 7th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Yea I know its kinda messed up making newbies think there the real deal when there just fake mortars and rockets. The walmarts over here have little assortment packs of so called Phantom fireworks lol its so funny because all there is in there are party poppers and snaps.

K-Mart by me was selling some pretty misleading phantom products if you ask me. this is almost as rediculous as black cats 12" tubes. Why do fireworks companies feel the need to mislead consumers lately?

http://www.fireworks.com/fireworks_gallery/photo.asp?pid=840

http://www.fireworks.com/fireworks_gallery/photo.asp?pid=831

leeca
June 7th, 2007, 09:37 PM
They were selling the so-called reload able fountains in Black Cat assortment trays at the Blockbuster stands before last year. It was the same kit with Black Cat logo on the stuff. Victory has a safe and sane assortment Pyro Value Fireworks Assortment #6 with Cannon Rocket fountains in it. The whole thing seems silly to me. I live in a Safe and sane city, why would I want to draw attention by having things that look like rockets and artillery shells setting around? Makes you wonder why these things were really made?

druglord
June 10th, 2007, 12:18 AM
It's the same here in Minnesota. TNT by the checkouts at Cub Foods and Walmart, and lately I've seen Phantom displays at Fleet Farm.

humanraindelay
June 11th, 2007, 07:42 AM
Here in Ohio all they really sell is smoke. The biggest thing I saw was two novelty tanks at Giant Eagle.

When the Phantom shops start popping up on the corners, does anyone know if they carry the Blue Streak Rockets. It's the only item from Phantom that I want but do not want to drive all the way to Canfield to get them.

THEBIG4TH
June 11th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Last year my father in-law bought a assortment of party poppers and snaps. he thought they were real fireworks:lol:. dont know if any of you have seen them but they have some that like cone fountains.. funny thing though .. everytime i walk into stater brothers i pick up a box an look at it. i still gett all excited over that crap, maybe because i know its a sighn of whats coming THEBIG4TH

JoeRatman
June 11th, 2007, 10:43 AM
At the Target stores here, they are selling TNT products. We are a S&S state. So they have three or four assortments from about $19-$99. There are also fountain 3 packs (9x3 fountains) for $9.99. Strange, I didn't see any poppers or sparklers.

craig101
June 12th, 2007, 10:56 AM
menards has TNT stuff out. a local walgreens has some stuff out. i dunno where they get their's as they had a couple of the sunrise triangle fountains.

Colin
June 12th, 2007, 11:30 AM
The local Wal-mart always carries various TNT "assortments", but they're nothing more than $10-$20 packages of party poppers and snaps in various forms.

stuntborg
June 12th, 2007, 06:36 PM
We've got a good variety of fountains and assortments here. Biggest one sells for $99.99 although they say its worth $250. They've got some 20 dollar fountains as well.

But no crazy eyeballs for the little ones :(

jokerman
June 12th, 2007, 07:45 PM
I was at a Price Chopper in NE PA. a few weeks ago and they had a Phantom fountain section. Wasn't BOgOF either. I couldn't help but buy something!

JoeRatman
June 12th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Looked all over my local WalMart today. No fireworks could be found. :confused: :(

stuntborg
June 13th, 2007, 07:49 AM
I think city codes may come into effect here. Our Walmart and Kmart are outside the city limits so they don't have to abide by city codes. At least until the town annexes them. So they can sell pretty much anything legal in the state. Now, a Walmart in the twin cities has to abide by the local laws which may prohibit selling fireworks within the city limits.

JoeRatman
June 13th, 2007, 09:20 AM
City codes do not apply in this case. Note that I mentioned Target was selling TNT stuff and they are in the same city. There is also stuff appear in the big grocery stores just down the block from the Walmart. I have seen stuff at WalMart in previous years, I suspect they just haven't gotten out yet.

I just looked in the MN statutes. Local jurisdications can not restrict fireworks sales if they meet NFPA 1124 codes.

2.1 Minnesota Statute 624.20
“A local unit of government may not… prohibit or restrict the display of items for permanent or temporary retail sale authorized under paragraph (c) that comply with National Fire Protection Association Standard 1124 (2003 edition);…”

stuntborg
June 13th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Local jurisdications can not restrict fireworks sales if they meet NFPA 1124 codes.

Thats cool. I'm glad to be wrong. Must be either a preference thing or something like that.

reddboxx
June 16th, 2007, 03:16 PM
My local Costco carries big TNT kits, but cannot legally sell them until June 23.

Randall
June 21st, 2007, 11:56 AM
found this on their site.

Dan in PA
June 21st, 2007, 12:41 PM
My local K-Mart has some phantom S/S stuff, Sam's club has TNT as does wal-mart.

smacker
June 21st, 2007, 06:12 PM
WOW i just got home from albertsons and they have parachutes and festival balls!!!! we are safe n sane here. i was shocked so i bought a pack for 8 bucks.i hope some new laws are coming
Edit: did a search for any news of this but i cant find anything

JoeRatman
June 21st, 2007, 10:19 PM
I walked into the Menard's store a few days ago and they were selling TNT products. There were several assortments ranging in price from 19.99 to 99.99, one 3 pack of large hexagonal fountains, a large fountain called "the half keg", and packages of sparklers.

ixfd64
June 27th, 2007, 04:42 PM
I saw some Phantom 1.4s items at a local Nob Hill Foods not too long ago!