PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks crackdown in Louisiana

PyroBubba
January 2nd, 2006, 05:33 PM
COMMENT: Gee, your community is devastated by a hurricane and a flood, but don't let that stop you from wasting taxpayer resources on a fireworks crackdown!

From the New Orleans Times-Picayune:

Jeff. fireworks citations just a warning -- this time

New Year's Eve patrols a success, Lee says

Monday, January 02, 2006

By Mary Swerczek
Staff writer

Deeming his battle against illegal fireworks a success, Jefferson Parish Sheriff Harry Lee said Sunday that he will consider as warnings the 83 fireworks possession citations he and his deputies handed out this New Year's holiday.

"I'm particularly gratified that there was not a single fire and not a single injury," Lee said at a news conference Sunday at which he was surrounded by $30,000 worth of seized fireworks.

Shooting fireworks is illegal in Jefferson Parish, except in Gretna.

In unincorporated Jefferson Parish, Lee cracked down on fireworks because of the fire hazards posed by flammable blue tarps on roofs across the parish and mounds of debris still lining streets.

Lee had said he would arrest any adults near juveniles with fireworks for contributing to the delinquency of a juvenile, but he backed off that threat and said the 83 summonses for fireworks possession will not be handed over to the district attorney's office.

The sheriff himself patrolled from 10 p.m. Saturday to 2 a.m. Sunday, beginning in his own neighborhood, scolding a woman who was with her child and a sparkler.

Lee said that he, along with Deputy Chad Frey, busted revelers with a huge fireworks stash a few minutes before midnight in the 1700 block of Taft in Metairie. Neighbors told him the fireworks were worth $8,000, and Lee figured he arrived just before a neighborhood display was to begin.

"Some people were very upset with me," Lee said, for breaking up the "American tradition" of welcoming the new year with fireworks.

After this New Year, the first time the fireworks ban has been vigorously enforced in years, Lee admonished future law-breakers that he will be enforcing the law on future Independence Days and New Year's Eves.

And those citations won't be treated as warnings, he said.

"Let this be fair warning," Lee said.

. . . . . . .
Mary Swerczek can be reached at mswerczek@timespicayune.com or (504) 467-1726.

Aric
January 2nd, 2006, 05:52 PM
This is unreal.... - :evil:

People such as Robert Blake and Michael Jackson are found innocent and released from prison!

People using Consumer Fireworks are prosecuted....

What is going on! - :rolleyes:

Spyder207
January 2nd, 2006, 06:00 PM
Any other year and I would agree with you, but not this year. There are literaly hundreds of homes in that area right now with tarps instead of roof shingles and tons of trash piled up from the hurricane damage late last year. Until the repairs are completed and all of the trash disposed of, I think people should refrain from using fireworks.

The area I live in allows fireworks, but had we received the same damage as Jefferson Parish, I would not have been shooting fireworks in my neighborhood. I think the risk of starting a fire is too great with flimsy blue tarp roofs and the trash.

Many of the subdivisions in Jefferson Parish have very small yards, maybe 30 feet in the back yard and 10 feet between houses so there is not a lot of room to lauch fireworks.

PyroReview
January 2nd, 2006, 06:52 PM
Sie haben nicht Feuerwerke! :rolleyes:

Lee said that he, along with Deputy Chad Frey, busted revelers with a huge fireworks stash a few minutes before midnight in the 1700 block of Taft in Metairie. Neighbors told him the fireworks were worth $8,000, and Lee figured he arrived just before a neighborhood display was to begin.

I agree with Spyder, but the only reason he busted this group right before midnight was not to avoid a catastrophe, but to get more press.

Spyder207
January 2nd, 2006, 06:56 PM
lassen Sie sie einige Monate warten und ihre Häuser reparieren.

Harry Lee, looking for publicity? LOL, yep he likes to get as much of that as possible.:)

PyroReview
January 2nd, 2006, 07:01 PM
lassen Sie sie einige Monate warten und ihre Häuser reparieren.

Like that will happen... :rolleyes:

If I were anyone in New Orleans, I'd be watching the local government VERY CAREFULLY to see where the money goes.

PyroBubba
January 2nd, 2006, 07:11 PM
I agree with Spyder, but the only reason he busted this group right before midnight was not to avoid a catastrophe, but to get more press.
Exactly. That and the pure sadism of spoiling everybody's evening ...

PyroBubba
January 2nd, 2006, 07:18 PM
I think the risk of starting a fire is too great with flimsy blue tarp roofs and the trash.
Yes, but notice that the sheriff says he's going to continue the crackdown next year when, presumably the danger will have been substantially repaired.

BTW, while Googling for fireworks news, I came across several about the current ban on fireworks in Texas and Oklahoma, due to drought conditions. That's something I can completely support: Obviously, you shouldn't be shooting during conditions in which one stray spark might cause a devastating wildfire. But that's just common sense. They shouldn't even have to do an official ban, just have the fire officials go on TV and explain the situation.

That's just like you were talking about the small yards in Jefferson Parish subdivisions making it difficult to shoot fireworks. It's a situation where people ought to exercise common sense, rather than having to pass laws banning the stuff. If somebody's shooting fireworks in an area where it's unsafe, then they can be charged with reckless endangerment, etc. I feel like fireworks get singled out for these kind of laws because it just "feels good" to the politicians.

Spyder207
January 2nd, 2006, 07:22 PM
I agree. The reason they were banned in Jefferson Parish, during normal years was due to the lack of common sense being used in heavily congested areas. The good seem to suffer for the bad when politics are involved.

PyroBubba
January 2nd, 2006, 08:07 PM
The reason they were banned in Jefferson Parish, during normal years was due to the lack of common sense being used in heavily congested areas.
Given what we saw during Katrina flood, seems that "the lack of common sense" is in great supply in that neck of the woods. Some people quite literally don't have enough sense to come in out of the rain.

PyroRon
January 6th, 2006, 10:11 AM
This is unreal.... - :evil:

People such as Robert Blake and Michael Jackson are found innocent and released from prison!

People using Consumer Fireworks are prosecuted....

What is going on! - :rolleyes:

It's called "money talks, B.S. walks" (with a peg leg), With liberty and justice for all (who can afford to pay for it).

ap0352
January 6th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Even with the ban and the citations, you should have seen the sky! I drove thorough Jefferson parish on the night of the 30th and I bet 1 out of 10 homes were shooting fireworks. I found it funny because most items I saw were 500 gram cakes and shells. You would think you wouldn't want to draw that much attention to yourself.....