PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks ban likely to fizzle

leeca
July 10th, 2006, 05:32 AM
Looks like all the hard work fighting this is paying off (http://www.pyrouniverse.com/forum/showpost.php?p=36743&postcount=13)!

GARDEN GROVE - An attempt by one council member to put the fireworks ban issue on the November ballot seems likely to fizzle out yet again.

Three council members – Janet Nguyen, Mark Leyes and Mark Rosen – said they would vote against putting the divisive issue on the ballot Tuesday night.
http://www.ocregister.com/newsimages/local/2006/07/10cfireworks_md.jpg
LEGAL TO BUY: Jennifer Eldridge of Huntington Beach has her ID checked to make sure she is at least 18 years of age at a fireworks stand sponsored by the Pacific HS Baseball Boosters in Garden Grove. The city is one of only five in O.C. to allow the sale and use of fireworks on the Fourth.

Garden Grove is one of only five Orange County cities to allow the sale and use of fireworks on the Fourth of July.

The fireworks ban has been proposed time and again, only to be voted down by councils over the years.

Councilman Harry Krebs suggested putting the issue on the November ballot during a meeting last month.

The council voted 3-1, with Leyes dissenting, to bring it back at the next meeting on Tuesday.

Local nonprofit groups say they count on fireworks sales to pay bills, but opponents say the illegal fireworks scare their pets and pose a serious fire hazard to surrounding homes.

Some residents say they are disappointed with the City Council's reluctance to follow in the footsteps of most other cities in the county that have banned fireworks.

Cheryl Fotia, who lives on Clausen Avenue, says her neighbors were shooting illegal "Disneyland-caliber fireworks to the power of 30" during the holiday weekend.

Fireworks have burned good relationships between friends, she said.

"These people have no problem scoffing the law and doing pretty much whatever they want," Fotia said.

"It's reduced our city to a horrible place – where people who've lived here a long time don't want to live."

But local booster club members say selling fireworks raises thousands of dollars for them every year.

"We could have car washes or bake sales," said Cindy Gleason, a member of the Los Amigos High School Football Boosters. "But we raise very little money with those types of events."

Nguyen said she is most concerned about volunteers who will lose a major source of fundraising.

Rosen said he does not want those nonprofit groups to spend their time and resources fighting the initiative.

"If opponents feel so strongly about it, they should do a petition drive and get the initiative on the ballot," he said.

Rosen said fireworks unite neighbors.

"It's a tradition that brings people together," he said. "It's a tradition our community really values."

What's next?

The Garden Grove City Council will vote whether to put the issue of a fireworks ban on the November ballot. Council members will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday in Council Chambers, 11300 Stanford Ave.

mastersparks
July 10th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Good work Leeca. I would try going to that meeting tomorrow night if I were you. I would go with you but we have a game.

leeca
July 10th, 2006, 12:44 PM
I will be there, I have my speech all made up, I need to practice so I donít freeze on TV and look like a moron, but I think I will be ok.

r1dermon
July 10th, 2006, 12:58 PM
haha, its reduced our city to a horrible place...i'd say that it's only a horrible place for the people who dont agree with fireworks...it'd be a much better place if THEY moved...and dont tell me they dont watch the fireworks while they're calling the cops.

pets? i've seen pets that love fireworks, my dog doesnt like them at all, but oh well, its a dog, one day out of the year my dog can deal, it doesnt kill her.