PDA

View Full Version : How often do you change your batteries?

n2extreme1
January 5th, 2012, 05:12 PM
For those of you using the multi receiver units how often do you change your AA batteries? Also does anyone use rechargeable batteries?

indianahx
January 5th, 2012, 05:16 PM
I changed mine after a couple of shoots. I wasn't firing multiple matches off of many cues though....I believe that might draw more off the batteries, correct gurus???

floridapyro
January 5th, 2012, 05:18 PM
I change everytime. One of our club members keeps them in a baggie in his case.... DB. Hes had no problems that I know of. My wife gets 30 packs from Lowes for $4. So I use them and put them up for remotes and kids games ect.

peterpyro
January 5th, 2012, 05:28 PM
I change everytime. One of our club members keeps them in a baggie in his case.... DB. Hes had no problems that I know of. My wife gets 30 packs from Lowes for $4. So I use them and put them up for remotes and kids games ect.

+1. Why risk it and not change? Erik you got a got hook up batteries for sure.

UnkleSAm
January 5th, 2012, 06:09 PM
I use fresh alkalines for very shoot in the units that take 4 batteries. But since I only use them once or twice a year, it's no big deal. I use them all and them some for various uses over the course of a year. When fooling around, or testing, I can easily get 8-10 shots out of a set of batteries even when using multiple talons. I'm sure I could reuse my batteries many times, but I won't chance it for critical show shoots. In my kingdom units, I only change them once a year - before my main shoot. They last really well, easily firing a hundred talons, or hundreds of e-matches. I would not use rechargeable AA batteries in any unit.

leeca
January 5th, 2012, 06:16 PM
I also change out new batteries for each time I go out shooting, I don't like to take chances. I keep a bag of the used batteries for around the house to use in Christmas decorations etc..

WildWilli
January 5th, 2012, 06:24 PM
I have a multi-battery tester and an I check them. If it shows good, use them. If it shows marginal, save them for a mouse or TV remote, and if it shows bad, chuck 'em. Hasn't failed me yet.

If it a nine volt, I just stick it on my tounge. If it hurts, it's GTG. http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile_tongue.gif

stuntborg
January 5th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Rechargable batteries are not 1.5V, they are 1.2V. This may screw with you if you are not careful.

If you are paying 4 bucks for a 30 pack of batteries you must either be getting a hellacious discount or be buying heavy duty batteries instead of alkaline. Heavy Duty batteries are only suitible for light duty applications such as filling a bag to be used as a weapon or as weight to keep your dining room table from floating away in the event of a sudden gravity failure.

BlitzK
January 5th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Heavy Duty batteries are only suitible for light duty applications

:brick: (but you're right)

Best place I've found for quality batteries locally has always been the Energizers at Home Depot...

JoeRatman
January 5th, 2012, 06:36 PM
I always check the batteries with a volt meter before a shoot. Most of my firing systems use a 12 volt SLA, so recharging is easy.

I use a few systems with nine volts. Many times we will just replace those each time, because you don't want an expensive show to failure because of a couple of 9 volt batteries. If we don't replace the batteries, we make sure we have some spares along, just in case.

cobrafiringsystems
January 5th, 2012, 06:54 PM
One of the specs to pay attention to in a battery is the mAh rating. For example, a brand-name Energizer Alkaline AA battery has a mAh rating of between 1800 and 2600 mAh. This means the battery under a 1A load would "theoretically" last between 1.8 and 2.6 hours with the caveat that the more voltage and current, the faster the discharge rate. I think with a standard Energizer AA battery under 1A load would cause the battery to lose all life in about 1 hour.

That being said, with many of the lower cost batteries, they commonly use chemical compositions such as Zinc–carbon vs. Alkaline. In comparison, a Zinc–carbon AA battery may have between 400-1000 mAh. On the low end (400 compared to 1800), the Zinc-carbon battery will last only 25% of the battery life compared to a good Alkaline battery (e.g. Energizer or Duracell). Wow. Although your spending less, you may not get your money's worth. In addition, the lower quality batteries have a lesser ability to support higher currents (e.g. firing a lot of Talon clips or e-matches in parallel) for an quick or extended period of time, especially in colder weather.

Similarly, unless your purchasing a more expensive Lithium Ion, Lithium Polymer or some Nickel–metal hydride, many re-chargeable batteries (similar to lower priced non-rechargeable) also have very low mAh ratings in addition to what is called the "memory effect" where charging a partially charged battery without full discharge can permanently lose battery capacity. That being said, a little TLC needs to be taken with re-chargeables.

Catfish25p2000
January 5th, 2012, 06:57 PM
I put fresh batteries in on two occasions... 1 - in a show where I want everything to work. 2 - when they stop popping matches/talons. I don't worry too much about my small units as I use them to piss around all the time. When they stop working, I change them.

ronendaman
January 5th, 2012, 07:09 PM
Chris stop being so cheap and buy new batteries already

strobes
January 5th, 2012, 07:09 PM
IMO, changing batteries after every use is just throwing away your money.
I change them after 3 full shows and never had a problem. I use Duracell or Energizer.
Now if all you have is cheap batteries, then after one use.

n2extreme1
January 5th, 2012, 07:47 PM
I use upwards of 80 batteries. All name brand like energizer or durracel. I don't really have any other use do AA batteries and I would hate to toss that many out after one use. I just bought a digital voltage meter. At what voltage do you recommend they be replaced?

stuntborg
January 5th, 2012, 07:51 PM
volt meters don't measure the life of a battery very well. A nearly dead battery may still measure full voltage under open circuit. To correctly measure a battery you need to put it under load and see how far it drops.

Pyro Nut
January 5th, 2012, 07:52 PM
A lot depends on when and how often you shoot. Me, I change my batteries after 2 consecutive shoots or if I havent shot a show within a 2 month time frame.

Airstrike1
January 5th, 2012, 08:05 PM
For AA batteries, I re-supply twice a year. Just before the fourth, and at New Years. Most of 'em seem to get eaten up over time with remotes, clocks, etc.., and the wife always needs a bunch for her decorations at Christmas. I always seem to be able to catch a good deal at Home Depot on their 36 packs.

For the 9 volt batteries in the transmitter, I use the same reliable method WildWilli does.

JoeRatman
January 5th, 2012, 08:51 PM
volt meters don't measure the life of a battery very well. A nearly dead battery may still measure full voltage under open circuit. To correctly measure a battery you need to put it under load and see how far it drops.

I stand corrected. I guess I need to be a bit more precise in my language when Stunt is around. :) I use a multimeter to test both the volts and the amps of a battery.

ouss
January 6th, 2012, 12:38 AM
I use a multimeter to test both the volts and the amps of a battery.
i know how to use a multimeter but i guess it will help lot of members to have a diagram showing how to add a charge in your circuit and how/where to put the tips :)

lava
January 6th, 2012, 05:27 AM
....Heavy Duty batteries are only suitible for light duty applications....
It's really amazing how so many people fall for that Heavey Duty "name game".

sky thumper
January 6th, 2012, 05:46 AM
If you are storing extra batteries lose in a bag or small box, please tape over the ends.
Where I use to work, They made us do that because some "Disposal Company" was hauling "dead batteries" and they shorted out ,setting the truck on fire.

FRB
February 16th, 2012, 10:52 AM
If it a nine volt, I just stick it on my tounge. If it hurts, it's GTG. http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile_tongue.gif

Working for 20 plus years in my church's sound room I have become pretty good at testing 9 volt batteries this way! I kind of like it, maybe that is the reason I still have no grey hair at 52!

casdsys
February 17th, 2012, 04:22 PM
We modified single shot systems as well as designed our own not to use AA or AAA batteries. Yes they become costly to replace so we now use rechargable 9.6v NiMH batteries, which is great because our systems will still operate down to 6 volts and still give an output of 30vdc. And we also use fast 2 hour chargers for the batteries, not the ones that take all day.

NW Fireworks Lover
February 17th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Does storing the batteries in the fridge when not in use keep them fresher? Something I do but not too sure if it helps...