PDA

View Full Version : New at Pyro

Reel Visual Prod.
May 7th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Hi, I'm J.D. I'm the owner of a small video production company (less than 20 employees) and I'm interested in expanding my business capabilities by getting into pyrotechnics. I live in Missouri, which has a good deal of Civil war reenactments produced and filmed here. A few years back I did some work with PBS on a segment called "Bad Blood" which first introduced me to the world of pyrotechnics beyond what is seen in others productions. Having worked with a several different production companies in the Kansas/Missouri area, I've realized one of the best ways to expand my company is getting into civil war videos. I realize that safe pyrotechnics are often a large part of the realism of these productions. I also realize that it takes a good deal of time to become knowledgable in this field. I was hoping that the members of this site would be able to assist me in the beginning stages of learning what it takes to have safe pyrotechnics in video/film reenactments.

firecrackersam
May 7th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Welcome to the U, I think for video production w/ pyrotechnics, you'd need a lot of close prox/indoor pyro. I don't know much about it, but there are a good amount of members here that do, like JoeRatman. Keep your eye on that section as you'll learn a lot about close prox from it.

tyler-durden
May 7th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Welcome!
I know when it comes to filming pyro there's plenty of fine tuning thats needed on what cameras you're using. I would suggest having or attending a couple shoots to give yourself the chance to figure out what works best to get the right colors and what not to come through the way you want. And when it comes to this hobby were all looking for any reason to light some stuff off, so it shouldn't be too hard:).

PYROBOOM
May 7th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Cool intro. I like it. Welcome aboard! You found the right place.

spacial K
May 7th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Hi, I'm J.D. I'm the owner of a small video production company (less than 20 employees) and I'm interested in expanding my business capabilities by getting into pyrotechnics.
Welcome. You'll want to be sure to attend the Pyro U-St.Louis shoot on the 3rd weekend in September. Friday and Saturday activities, and plenty of shows on which to hone your pyro filming skills.