PDA

View Full Version : Rack fusing question?

kgb
June 12th, 2006, 03:03 PM
I was wondering,let's say you have a mortar rack fused up and ready to go.Do you think if some of the zipties started falling into the tubes once it was lit that this could cause a blowout.I'm basically wondering if a ziptie could wedge itself between the shell and tube causing a blowout?

Kevin13
June 12th, 2006, 03:24 PM
I was wondering,let's say you have a mortar rack fused up and ready to go.Do you think if some of the zipties started falling into the tubes once it was lit that this could cause a blowout.I'm basically wondering if a ziptie could wedge itself between the shell and tube causing a blowout?

Theoretically, anything is possible, however, I think it's a pretty slim chance of a ziptie falling perfectly along the side wall of the mortar and lodging against the shell.

St1dinoh
June 12th, 2006, 03:25 PM
it's a fair question, but the odds are astronomical. to be on the safe side i always clip the excess zip tie (leaving an 1/8 inch in case the thing backs out a click or two). if you clip em after you zip this shouldn't be a concern at all. but even if you don't the pressures inside a launching tube are very intense. the only way that could happen is if the shell was very tight in the tube, and then you've got even more back pressure to "dislodge" any stray zip tie that may be stuck in there.

some of these guys can tell you first hand that they've seen a 1.4 shell fire straight through a 2x4 like it was a piece of tissue paper. i haven't seen this first hand but many here have and i'm sure that kind of pressure would be more than enuff to push a zip tie out of the way.

good question though

Mike in CO
June 12th, 2006, 04:48 PM
I had wondered the same thing about the zip ties, but upon consideration find it unlikely for a different reason-

The lift charge gases will expand faster than the load and there will be some blow-by (imperfect fit). This would expel anything not forcefully secured into place, such as a zip tie that might fall into the tube. To reduce the likelyhood of getting wedged-in, I also cut the leads off the zip ties.

Yes, anything is possible. I'd think a general failure is probably as likely, hence the general emphasis on all-around safety.