PDA

View Full Version : 350 gram cakes do exist

jman
August 28th, 2009, 06:57 AM
I've always known there was a 350g class of cakes.....they've just not always been acknowledged as such. Well, time to list them as an officially recognized category now as brothers new 2010 lineup has several new 350 gram cakes......acknowledged as such on their new video as well as the pics in the catalog which show these cakes to have distinct 350g labeling.

Straight Up Stuff - 9shot

Round Up - 16 shot

Jaws - 16 shot

Dino Dodo - 36 shot

Firedrake - 36 shot ( 2009 lineup )

I would like to see some of their older cakes wear the 350 gram label as well and finally be recognized for what they really are.....cakes such as these which are superb...anyone who has shot these already knows that they are not 200 gram cakes and never have been..

Scarecrow - 7 shot
Attack - 7 shot
Home on the Range - 7 shot

Also, the following cakes all packed 6/1 belong under the 350g labels. They have been promoted as 500g cakes but we all know they are not truly 500g cakes. Because of this, they have received a bad wrap. I've shot most of these myself and they are nice cakes, yet they are not true 500g cakes which will leave some disappointed in their performance. However, if they were acknowledged as a true 350g cake like they should be, all of sudden they become nice cakes under the new category. There is nothing 500 gram about these cakes unless you put two of them together......they should be re-classified as 350g cakes so folks can enjoy and appreciate their performances instead of being mis-led to believe these are 500's....if I truly had ever thought they were 500's, I would have been disappointed with them as well. I personally have always recognized them privately as what they are......350g cakes packed 6/1.....good value and good performance for their class.

Double Double - 42 shot
Riding Shotgun - 25 shot
Hooligan - 49 shot
Badge of Honor - 25 shot
Burning Wind - 25 shot
Big Top - 42 shot

shep
August 28th, 2009, 07:09 AM
If I am right I also do believe everyones favorite Matrix Pyro is also a 350 gram cake

jman
August 28th, 2009, 07:11 AM
If I am right I also do believe everyones favorite Matrix Pyro is also a 350 gram cake

They very well may be, but I hesitate to call them that because they are packed 12/1...but they're performance is definitely 350g class IMO:) This is one of the cakes found in the All Star Pack which is an 4/2 Assortment....also Brothers Choice Pak at 4/2....

PyroDiablo
August 28th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Matrix Pyro & Super Stock Car - Should have the 350g classification as well. Both cakes are excellent performers and completely above board.

Pricey, you betcha... but, here you get what you pay for.

Rocket J. Squirrel
August 28th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Matrix Pyro
Booming Bobble heads
Digital Experience
Home Run Hero's
Shock wave
Super Stock Car
Box o tricks-most under rated -I have shot these and these are incredible.
Center Court Champs

I'm afraid we may loose Home Run Hero's because not enough dealers carried these early 350 items. Home Run Heroes is awesome.

PyroDiablo
August 28th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Rocket,

Thanks for the additional listings. I have a case of Shockwave as well. I will have to check out Home Run Hero's and Box o Tricks...

fashionheadhunter
August 28th, 2009, 07:34 AM
Bling-Bling
Stockade

JD
August 28th, 2009, 07:39 AM
a fantastic cake:
Gold Brocade Bash 8/1

jonkelley82
August 28th, 2009, 07:40 AM
I would question that super stock car.

ryno_13
August 28th, 2009, 07:52 AM
There were some Bigs cakes we had this year as well that I wondered if they were in the 350g category
3-D (listed as a 500, packed 6/1)
Tailed lights (200, 6/1)
Flicker (500, 6/1)
Felony (500, 6/1)
All were really nice pieces for the money, was a little disappointed in the size of 3-D after seeing the vids tho.

jknepp1954
August 28th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Cannon's catalog is out now to the importers. They now have a 350gr catagory.

sincity-pyro
August 28th, 2009, 10:22 AM
My rule of thumb is... 2/1 & 4/1=500g... 6/1 & 8/1=350g... 12/1 & up=200g

UP-beyond reality

stuntborg
August 28th, 2009, 10:33 AM
350 gram is a marketing catagory. It has no official meaning for the CPSC.

Case packaging has absolutely nothing to do with 350g, 200g, 500g, whatever. Case packaging has more to do first with the physical size of the cake and how many can be easily handled. Next, it has to do with cost. Some cakes were repackaged 2/1 instead of 4/1 based on the cost of a case.

Simply put, according to the Cpsc, if it has less than or equal to 200g of powder then it is a 200g cake. If if has more than 200g or less than 500g it is a 500g cake. So, based on regulatory law, 350s do not exist. Based on marketing, the 350 catagory fills a nice nitch.

ShadowPyro
August 28th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Simply put, according to the Cpsc, if it has less than or equal to 200g of powder then it is a 200g cake. If if has more than 200g or less than 500g it is a 500g cake.

Aaah, always wondered why I see alot of 500 gram cakes that say things like: "Maximum Load" or "Brothers 500g Heavy Weight" I figured if it was listed as 500 grams it was 500 grams, not in between 200 and 500. So in essence maximum load 500 gram cakes are the best and/or heaviest cake you can buy in the 1.4 consumer market.

Yaz
August 28th, 2009, 11:13 AM
yea , every 350g i've seen have spacing between the tubes that you dont see in 200g. it's a nice option between 200/500. i hope more cakes like this are made

Superbang
August 28th, 2009, 11:20 AM
I've always known there was a 350g class of cakes.....they've just not always been acknowledged as such. Well, time to list them as an officially recognized category now as brothers new 2010 lineup has several new 350 gram cakes......acknowledged as such on their new video as well as the pics in the catalog which show these cakes to have distinct 350g labeling.

Straight Up Stuff - 9shot

Round Up - 16 shot

Jaws - 16 shot

Dino Dodo - 36 shot

Firedrake - 36 shot ( 2009 lineup )

I would like to see some of their older cakes wear the 350 gram label as well and finally be recognized for what they really are.....cakes such as these which are superb...anyone who has shot these already knows that they are not 200 gram cakes and never have been..

Scarecrow - 7 shot
Attack - 7 shot
Home on the Range - 7 shot

Also, the following cakes all packed 6/1 belong under the 350g labels. They have been promoted as 500g cakes but we all know they are not truly 500g cakes. Because of this, they have received a bad wrap. I've shot most of these myself and they are nice cakes, yet they are not true 500g cakes which will leave some disappointed in their performance. However, if they were acknowledged as a true 350g cake like they should be, all of sudden they become nice cakes under the new category. There is nothing 500 gram about these cakes unless you put two of them together......they should be re-classified as 350g cakes so folks can enjoy and appreciate their performances instead of being mis-led to believe these are 500's....if I truly had ever thought they were 500's, I would have been disappointed with them as well. I personally have always recognized them privately as what they are......350g cakes packed 6/1.....good value and good performance for their class.

Double Double - 42 shot
Riding Shotgun - 25 shot
Hooligan - 49 shot
Badge of Honor - 25 shot
Burning Wind - 25 shot
Big Top - 42 shot

Are they REALLY worth it though? I have yet to shoot one!! Price wise ?

Pyro-Man
August 28th, 2009, 11:26 AM

Case packaging has absolutely nothing to do with 350g, 200g, 500g, whatever. Case packaging has more to do first with the physical size of the cake and how many can be easily handled. Next, it has to do with cost. Some cakes were repackaged 2/1 instead of 4/1 based on the cost of a case.

Simply put, according to the Cpsc, if it has less than or equal to 200g of powder then it is a 200g cake. If if has more than 200g or less than 500g it is a 500g cake. So, based on regulatory law, 350s do not exist. Based on marketing, the 350 catagory fills a nice nitch.This has always been the last word on the "350g cakes really exist" threads in the past.

bob weaver
August 28th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Some others...
After Burner (Cannon brand)
Blackjack (Forest King brand)
Eye on You (Flower King brand)
Nature’s Grace (Flower King brand)
Caribbean Dream (Forest King brand)
Frontier Land (Legend brand)
Play-offs (Omni Boy brand)
Big Shot Repeater (Alamo brand)

Brothers' Super Stock Car and Matrix Pyro have identical specfications, both 16 shots, same piece size, same case size, same case packing, same case weight.

St1dinoh
August 28th, 2009, 11:46 AM
the coolest 350 gram i saw this year was legends return to glory.

starts off slow with some fish/leaves, then fires a bunch of RW&B strobe/glitter breaks (4 slow, then 4 fast) then pukes up 4 shots of red strobe and crackle.

very cool all RW&B cake but a very heavy 12/1 case :D.

here's a vid: http://www.pyrouniverse.com/gallery2/data/535/return_to_glory.mpg

JD
August 28th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Are they REALLY worth it though? I have yet to shoot one!! Price wise ?

have you shot Gold Brocade Bash 8/1 or Home on the range 6/1?
clearly superior to any 200g cake and as good as some 500g'ers

wrtiii
August 28th, 2009, 12:50 PM
I guess I don't understand where you all are coming from on this topic.

"This cake significantly outperforms other 200g cakes"? Yes. Some cakes are better than others.

Brothers' marketing ploys? Fine. And I bet you believe that the 500g cakes with 4" shells are true 4" shells, too. Whatever.

"This cake contains more than 200g of pyrotechnics composition"? If it's something that's been in production for several years, and the CPSC continues to approve it as a 200g cake (meaning CPSC does not require the different form factor - spacing between the tubes - that is a requirement for cakes with more than 200g of composition), then I'm guessing it's really a 200g cake.

If you mean "HEY, CPSC, THESE ARE ILLEGAL OVERLOADED CAKES, PLEASE TAKE THEM OFF THE MARKET", then I really don't understand where you are coming from.

JD
August 28th, 2009, 01:02 PM
WOW..thats brutal..considering the OP I dont think he would call out a product on the forum..
this argument has been around along time. no reason to get thet technical..
I have not weighed the comp in some of the mentioned cakes but dont you think the CPSC would have said something by now?
hell, they held up a 200g comet cake from victory till late June.

St1dinoh
August 28th, 2009, 01:12 PM
WOW..thats brutal..considering the OP I dont think he would call out a product on the forum..
this argument has been around along time. no reason to get thet technical..
I have not weighed the comp in some of the mentioned cakes but dont you think the CPSC would have said something by now?
hell, they held up a 200g comet cake from victory till late June.

i think that comet cake was held up because of a comp they were using...

the issue here isn't all cakes must be either 200 gram or 500 gram, it's no cakes can be over 500 and any cake over 200 needs to meet certian criteria.

it's a mass detonation issue...the whole concern is "does this item mass detonate or not"

if it does it's 1.3, if it doesn't we all get to have fun with them.

if it doesn't mass detonate in a container and it passes the tilt test it can be 1 gram or 500 grams they don't care.

PyroDiablo
August 28th, 2009, 01:19 PM
[/thread] That's a good enough for me... Long as they keep their grubby paws off my Matrix Pyro they can do whatever they like.... :D

if it doesn't mass detonate in a container and it passes the tilt test it can be 1 gram or 500 grams they don't care.

JD
August 28th, 2009, 01:25 PM
agreed Stoney, but the fact that the OP got derailed because people want to get anal..
a very innocent post will go sideways because some have to show how smart they are/are'nt:mad:

wrtiii
August 28th, 2009, 01:28 PM
I resent people posting the names of 200g cakes with the UNFOUNDED ASSERTION that they are overloads. I'm talking about cakes that do NOT meet the 500g requirements. I really don't want them taken off the market. I won't call more attention to them, but they are named in postings above.

If you call that "getting anal", so be it.

ryno_13
August 28th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I did not interperet any of this as "overloads" I was always under the assumption that there were 350g cakes there was just no 350 classification. In no way were the cakes I mentioned above comparable to any OL's I have witnessed, I was referring to packaging and size mainly.
And yes, I know what happens when one "assumes"
If a mod sees any mention of an OL in my previous post, please remove it.

PyroDiablo
August 28th, 2009, 01:45 PM
I've read through the whole thread again. I must be blind, I don't see any OL's mentioned either.

Easy Frances...

stuntborg
August 28th, 2009, 02:17 PM
To my knowledge 350 gram cakes are not overloaded. They are 500 gram cakes or they are 200 gram cakes. Could be they are 200 g cakes and we don't know exactly what 200g of comp looks like. Ultimately only two things matter....$$$$ and how it looks in the sky. Okay, if you run a stand maybe shelf appeal matters as well.

By the way, Home on the Range, Matrix Pyro, GBB are some of my favorite cakes whether they are 200g, 350g, 500g, they are all nice.

wrtiii
August 28th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Here's the deal as I see it:

If the cake doesn't have the 1/2" spacers between the tubes that cakes over 200g are required to have, please don't post that you think it is over 200g. That would be an overload, pure and simple, and we're not supposed to be posting that! It is the exact equivalent of posting that you think a given 500g cake has over 500g of composition.

And yes, I am familiar with some of the cakes named, and they do not have the spacers between the tubes, so in my book they are not over 200g.

I do blame Brothers for spreading the confusion, because they do describe cakes in their catalogs as "350g" even though they don't meet the requirements for cakes over 200g. At least through the ones I bought this spring, the cakes themselves are not so marked. As some of these cakes have been in their same form for several years, I assume that they are meeting CPSC approval and the "350g" is just marketing hyperbole.

If a 16-shot cake is packed 8/1 or higher, it probably doesn't have the spacers, because the spacers make them physically larger.

And if we as a group are knowledgeable, we should be able to just say "This cake is good" and talk about what it does, rather than engage in speculation about the weight of the pyrotechnic composition it contains.

By the way, "500g" means "over 200g", not "a full 500g". I have "500g" cakes that may possibly have as much as 201g of composition, and are outperformed by mediocre quality 200g cakes, but they do have the spacers, so they meet regulations.

Rocket J. Squirrel
August 28th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Here's the deal as I see it:

If the cake doesn't have the 1/2" spacers between the tubes that cakes over 200g are required to have, please don't post that you think it is over 200g. That would be an overload, pure and simple, and we're not supposed to be posting that! It is the exact equivalent of posting that you think a given 500g cake has over 500g of composition.

And yes, I am familiar with some of the cakes named, and they do not have the spacers between the tubes, so in my book they are not over 200g.

I do blame Brothers for spreading the confusion, because they do describe cakes in their catalogs as "350g" even though they don't meet the requirements for cakes over 200g. At least through the ones I bought this spring, the cakes themselves are not so marked. As some of these cakes have been in their same form for several years, I assume that they are meeting CPSC approval and the "350g" is just marketing hyperbole.

If a 16-shot cake is packed 8/1 or higher, it probably doesn't have the spacers, because the spacers make them physically larger.

And if we as a group are knowledgeable, we should be able to just say "This cake is good" and talk about what it does, rather than engage in speculation about the weight of the pyrotechnic composition it contains.

By the way, "500g" means "over 200g", not "a full 500g". I have "500g" cakes that may possibly have as much as 201g of composition, and are outperformed by mediocre quality 200g cakes, but they do have the spacers, so they meet regulations.

The way I see it.

Is that a cake is 350 grams if they advertise it as so. What ever the CSPC or DOT say. But in CSPC/DOT view it is either 200 grams or less OR 500 grams or less.

I think it is crazy not have a sub category of cakes either over 200 and less than five hundred or for criminy sakes just call it a freakin 350 gram cake, especially if is on the label or the manufacturer labels it as so.

So, we should have a 350 gram category.

Can someone post the regs, because all this hearsay is making me crazy.

leeca
August 28th, 2009, 03:42 PM
```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Simply put, according to the Cpsc, if it has less than or equal to 200g of powder then it is a 200g cake. If if has more than 200g or less than 500g it is a 500g cake. So, based on regulatory law, 350s do not exist. Based on marketing, the 350 catagory fills a nice nitch.

Just goes to show just because the CPSC says somthing dosent mean it holds water..We all know damn well that the CPSC has it head up its ass on this and we all know of all kinds of examples PERIOD! So why even fight the fact that 350 gram cakes are and have been alive and well for many years and many more years to come.

http://deephousepage.com/smilies/twocents.gif

Superbang
August 28th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Just goes to show just because the CPSC says somthing dosent mean it holds water..We all know damn well that the CPSC has it head up its ass on this and we all know of all kinds of examples PERIOD! So why even fight the fact that 350 gram cakes are and have been alive and well for many years and many more years to come.

http://deephousepage.com/smilies/twocents.gif

Agreed!!!

wrtiii
August 28th, 2009, 04:34 PM
The actual regs are in APA 87-1, included by reference in US law and regulation. I don't have a copy, and I believe it is prohibited to post the information anyway (they sell it, after all).

Bob Weaver has a convenient summary:
http://www.fireworksland.com/html/statelaws.html

I love the Humpty Dumpty approach here: "if the importer who is trying to sell it to me says in the advertising that it's 350g, it must be so". :brick: How about if I take it apart, dump the comp onto a scale, and weigh it? Would that mean anything to you? I guess not. But that's what anyone actually testing it would do.

There is no sub-category of 350g cakes, just as there is no sub-category of 3" shells or 4" shells. The regs are what they are. The categories are "up to 200g" and "up to 500g". 350g would clearly be in the second category. I don't understand why this seems so difficult to so many people here.

And I'm not arguing that there is no such thing as a cake containing 350 grams of comp. I'm asking that if you know of one that is being sold under the 200g regulations, you not point that out online in a public forum.

Superbang
August 28th, 2009, 04:44 PM
RE:There is no sub-category of 350g cakes, just as there is no sub-category of 3" shells or 4" shells. The regs are what they are. The categories are "up to 200g" and "up to 500g". 350g would clearly be in the second category. I don't understand why this seems so difficult to so many people here.

And I'm not arguing that there is no such thing as a cake containing 350 grams of comp. I'm asking that if you know of one that is being sold under the 200g regulations, you not point that out online in a public forum.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I think we get your point you have stated it 20 times !!

Yaz
August 28th, 2009, 05:09 PM
you guys turned this thread into shit before it was off its first page. congrats

fashionheadhunter
August 28th, 2009, 05:12 PM
I shot that cake---Turned Into Shit---it is definitely overloaded. I think it is made by World Ass.

Yaz
August 28th, 2009, 05:15 PM
the daylight version has little pieces of manure floating down with parachutes :puke:

leeca
August 28th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Just because cake is labeled 350-Gram doesn’t mean it has to be an out of regulation overload 200-gram cake. I think that they are a hybrid that are made to a 500-gram cake specs but have less comp and the fireworks manufactures know they are not going to pass the smell test as being labeled 500-gram so they call them as it is a 350-Gram. Doesn’t mean any law is being violated. The big difference in a cake over 200 grams is how it is constructed. But that construction standard is wishy-washy. My favorite example is the 750 shot Saturn battery.

Superskwrl
August 28th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Matrix Pyro
Booming Bobble heads
Digital Experience
Home Run Hero's
Shock wave
Super Stock Car
Box o tricks-most under rated -I have shot these and these are incredible.
Center Court Champs

I'm afraid we may loose Home Run Hero's because not enough dealers carried these early 350 items. Home Run Heroes is awesome.

You've mentioned almost all the "great eight" brother assortment, i saw it in the spirit76 printed catalog

it has,
All Star Action Set
Slam Dunk = Super Stock Car
Hat Trick = Booming Bobble Heads
Grand Slam= Matrix Pyro
Touch Down= Digital Experience

Brother Choice Set
Regal = Blueline Bullies
Imperial =Grid Iron Greats
Sovereign=Center Court
Majestic = Home run Heros

WWhite
August 28th, 2009, 06:30 PM
I'll just chime in and say I shot 2 Super Stock Car's this year...bought in January...and was greatly disappointed....I'd put it in the Top 5 "most over-hyped cakes" category.

jimmoon
August 28th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Not to keep this going any longer but I had the CPSC regs on my last hard drive before I dropped my laptop and it didn't seem like there was much grey area to me. I strongly object to having to pay for something like a copy of regulations that are considered laws. Total BS!

ShadowPyro
August 28th, 2009, 08:22 PM
I was under the impression that if a cake is over 200 grams its considered a 500 gram cake by the CPSC, 350 grams isnt an overloaded 200 gram cake, its a 500 gram cake thats not loaded to the max (which would be 500 grams)

jman
August 28th, 2009, 09:34 PM
I try to apply common sense to all fo this. Regardless of what the cpsc does or does not recognize officially, 350g cakes are in production and have been for years. The Cpsc does not require firework manufacuters to classify their cakes as 350g ......they require a 200g or 500g classification. They know 350's exist as well as 300's....360's...400's.....420's and so on......but they also know that creating another category of 350 gram which will never exceed the 500 gram comp limit is unnecessary on their part. However, as far as the Importer/Wholesaler/Retailer/Consumer is concerned.....350g are as real as the nose on your face.:)

stuntborg
August 28th, 2009, 10:02 PM
I try to apply common sense to all fo this. Regardless of what the cpsc does or does not recognize officially, 350g cakes are in production and have been for years. The Cpsc does not require firework manufacuters to classify their cakes as 350g ......they require a 200g or 500g classification. They know 350's exist as well as 300's....360's...400's.....420's and so on......but they also know that creating another category of 350 gram which will never exceed the 500 gram comp limit is unnecessary on their part. However, as far as the Importer/Wholesaler/Retailer/Consumer is concerned.....350g are as real as the nose on your face.:)

Wow...we agree...

I actually hope they do not add any new catagories...unless of course the category is 1000 g or something like that. Another catagory between 200g and 500g is just another rule. Less rules, not more rules.

Back on topic...There are some really good "350" gram cakes out there. Typically they are (or at least the ones I like) lower shot count big breaking cakes. I don't think I'd put Matrix Pyro in the 350g cat. It is a large 200 but then again, the line is about as fuzzy as well....can't think of anything to fuzzy at the moment.

jman
August 28th, 2009, 10:15 PM
[QUOTE=stuntborg;318906]Wow...we agree...

I actually hope they do not add any new catagories...unless of course the category is 1000 g or something like that.

and we agree again....bring on the 1,000 gram cakes:D......we're on a roll stunt:lol:

sincity-pyro
August 29th, 2009, 01:29 AM
I actually hope they do not add any new catagories...unless of course the category is 1000 g or something like that.

:rolleyes: [Looking into my crystal ball]...... 1000g 6 shot packed 1/1 $100.00 wholesale.:eek:

WWhite
August 29th, 2009, 04:03 AM
...unless of course the category is 1000 g or something like that.

I'm all for a 1000G cake....but I'm guessing it might not fit in my car...the cakes like Jesters Revenge, etc are massive in size already(aren't all high-shot count zippers though)...so I'll let the big dogs play w/ those :twisted:

missinglink
August 29th, 2009, 08:33 AM
It makes no difference if a 1000gm cake was legal or not if the comp limits per shot aren't increased. You want 1000gm cake, chain fuse two 500gm cakes... done...

...but I digress from the OPs intent for this thread....

Pyro Chuck
August 29th, 2009, 09:41 AM
It makes no difference if a 1000gm cake was legal or not if the comp limits per shot aren't increased. You want 1000gm cake, chain fuse two 1000gm cakes... done...

Wouldn't that be a 2000g cake then? :cool:

missinglink
August 29th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Wouldn't that be a 2000g cake then? :cool:

Thanks... I corrected my typo. :)

kou
August 29th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Great Grizzly Utopia is a good 350.

It makes no difference if a 1000gm cake was legal or not if the comp limits per shot aren't increased. You want 1000gm cake, chain fuse two 500gm cakes... done...

...but I digress from the OPs intent for this thread....
I recall there was a pre-fused set of 500g cakes sold as a kit a few years ago. I don't know if it was ever banned but some retailers I knew told me CPSC was not happy about it. Fuse on your own and it's fine, plus save a few bucks in the process.

My .02 on the 350g category, I like it alot that some manufacturers will sell their 350g cakes as 350g and not try to pass it off as 500g (or in TNT's case, "Up to 500g"). The 350g cakes adhere to the same rules as 500g cakes because they are over 200g. The total comp can't exceed 500g and the tubes must have spacers. If you find a 350g cake that have tubes touching each other, I'm pretty sure it would be pulled as soon as the proper agencies find out. 350g is just marketing, but a decent compromise on price and performance for those who want bigger than 200g breaks without paying the 500g price.

Sorry wrtiii you already posted some of the regs here...
http://www.pyrouniverse.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4214

RPS
August 29th, 2009, 02:49 PM
I will read the full thread when I get back, but for now, google "matrix pyro cake dissection" (not linking to it because of forum rules...)

Rocket J. Squirrel
August 29th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Passfire has the Matrix pyro dissection in the latest release...

PyroMania
August 29th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Great Grizzly Utopia is a good 350.

They added 10 grams :D

(It is a nice cake though)

kou
August 29th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Heh... nice catch. I was going off of NCI's website which has a 360g label but they describe Utopia as 350g. Looking at a very old picture of my own, it appears to have always been 360g.

Troutmanx36
August 30th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Holy shit it's Kou

tatdaddy
August 30th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Great grizzly has had "350" gram cakes now for ten years maybe longer. the new 360 gram thing has got to be for marketing as soon as consumers hear about 350 someone says 360?

CooLighter
August 31st, 2009, 12:08 AM
Why cant they make cakes over 500g anyways? Safety reasons? Consumers and us of course light up 4 to 10 500g cakes at the same time? :confused:

stuntborg
August 31st, 2009, 05:44 AM
Why cant they make cakes over 500g anyways? Safety reasons? Consumers and us of course light up 4 to 10 500g cakes at the same time? :confused:

First we are not the average consumer. Most consumers don't light 4 cakes at the same time. In fact they might by a total of 4 500g cakes for the entire year.

Second, the line was drawn in the sand at 500g. Better than 200g it use to be.

Third, cost. I'm not convinced there is a market for larger cakes. Maybe if flash were allowed for a break charge we could get some better stuff at reasonable prices.

WWhite
August 31st, 2009, 05:51 AM
Third, cost. I'm not convinced there is a market for larger cakes. Maybe if flash were allowed for a break charge we could get some better stuff at reasonable prices.

I read in another thread the CSPC were changing how they measure the break component...they have some metal ball which can't go higher than X inches (or whatever measure) instead of measuring grams...did I read that correctly?? Seems like if they go that way, it wouldn't matter if broken by flash, etc...just that it didn't/doesn't cause the ball to go higher than the limit....

Pls correct if wrong...

JD
August 31st, 2009, 06:12 AM
First we are not the average consumer. Most consumers don't light 4 cakes at the same time. In fact they might by a total of 4 500g cakes for the entire year.

Second, the line was drawn in the sand at 500g. Better than 200g it use to be.

right stunt..the product right now is far better than even 10 years ago.
laws were changed and mfg process changed and here we are. maybe not out of line to think on a slightly bigger consumer scale product could happen..
back in the 90's Beihai had some of the best cakes available..basic 1.5" and 1.75" shells..but they were as good as you could get.
7 shot Super Seven aka..Night Shell and 9 shot whistling shell.

gunslinger
August 31st, 2009, 06:39 AM
demand drives the market and people always want bigger and better so 1000 gram cakes are not out of question in the future safety and fuseing are the bigger problems...... love to see 1.4 allowed to have larger shells than 1.75" maybe up to 3 inch???? what do you think

UnkleSAm
August 31st, 2009, 01:04 PM
My few comments:

Of course 350 isn't an official designation, but if the manufacturers want to market light 500's as 350's who are we to complain as long as the price/performance are on par with our expectations. It might even be a good thing. As consumers see that these cakes offer good performance at a reasonable price, it might actually work to drive 500g prices down.

Secondly, if there were an increase to 1000g, it's not the cost of the comp that would drive the price out of sight. Just like the current 500g cakes, it's the packaging, shipping, storage, and marketing HYPE that drives the price through the roof.

fashionheadhunter
August 31st, 2009, 01:41 PM
Gotta love the last tag on this thread. And no, it wasn't me.

JD
August 31st, 2009, 04:59 PM
Gotta love the last tag on this thread. And no, it wasn't me.
Edit Tags Tags
350, cakes, exist, gram, whogivesashit

now thats funny!!!:D for once it wasn't you fashion..you're slippin..:)

lava
September 1st, 2009, 01:10 AM
demand drives the market and people always want bigger and better so 1000 gram cakes are not out of question...
That's true only to a point. Demand does drive the market, but that "drive" can only go as far as the "regs" allow, whether those regs are federal, state, or local. "Big Brother" doesn't always increase limits just because the public wants it. So it's very possible (even likely) that 1000g cakes will not come to be.

......love to see 1.4 allowed to have larger shells than 1.75" maybe up to 3 inch???? what do you think
I think that a substantial number of people on this forum (but not all) would handle larger items safely. The general public, however, is an entirely different matter. Look at how many "idiot acts" that tend to happen with what's already available.