PDA

View Full Version : Hazard Safety Radius Question.

madicav
June 18th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Here is my Question.
You have a fireworks display set up by a highway but is far enough a way for the normal fallout zone radius. The highway is in the hazard safety radius (fuel storage, gas stations,etc.......) What it the rule on gasoline fuel trucks.
Here are some scenarios:
-Gas truck traveling on the highway.
-Gas truck that breaks down on the side of the road.
-Gas truck that was in an accident and spilled fuel on to the road
What are the rule for these scenarios?
Thanks

Bigpyro
June 18th, 2009, 10:30 AM
That is a stretch as far as possible scenarios go but stranger things have happened. Maybe you just monitor the highway and stop the show in the unlikely event that the scenario you described happens? Can a fuel truck technically be described as "storage" since the intent of the vehicle is transportation not storage?

TRMPyro
June 18th, 2009, 10:41 AM
1123 states in section 5.1.4.4 that fuel tanks on vehicles or other motorized equipment located in the display site shall not be considered bulk storage. Of course they probably mean the gas tank not a "fuel truck".

madicav
June 18th, 2009, 11:05 AM
The last scenario is a no brainer for me. I was really asking more for the secound scenario .

pyro29
June 18th, 2009, 04:21 PM
If that were to happen and you were to be able to see it or find out about it, you would be responsible for stopping the show if conditions were such that it posed a hazard.

Think of the clean-up costs for a gasoline tanker that burned. They are significant and your insurance company and ultimately you would bear the responsibility if the fire were started by your fallout.

stuntborg
June 18th, 2009, 05:04 PM
I'd think the AHJ would be the only person that could answer this question for you. Make sure you meet the NFPA requirements then go by the AHJ.

GK
June 18th, 2009, 06:31 PM
The distance to a highway should be 100 ft per inch (or at least 70 per NFPA).

Roadway is included in the list of separation distances. "Bulk fuel storage" would require double the distance.

A fuel truck travelling on the highway should be of no more risk then the gas tank on another vehicle. They are designed to be safe from stray ignition sources when travelling. So a fuel truck travelling the highway would not be considered bulk storage.

If this particular highway has significant fuel truck traffic (a road from a fuel depot for example) this could be a case for increased distances.

Is this a major highway?

On a major highway it is always a good idea to have law enforcement on patrol during the display....There have been a number of cases of accidents caused by people stopping to watch a display. So law enforcement can keep them moving and/or slow everyone down.

A smaller road can usually be shut down for the duration of the display...generally you are looking at less than 30 minutes. So this shouldn't be too much of an inconveinience. Here again, law enforcement would be present on the road.

Either way, should there be an incident where there is a fuel hazard, law enforcement should be able to alert the display operator to stop the show.

This is because the fire service, law enforcement, and display operations should all be in contact throughout the display just as it was planned in the pre-display meeting/communication.

GK

jstruble
June 27th, 2009, 09:28 PM
If the highway is shut down by the police, then you have no problem. if it is not anyone traveling on the highway should be treated like the audience. Your distance to the highway will dictate the size of shells. example we are 400 feet to a highway, so we can do 5" shells (70 x 5). we wanted to do 6" shells but would have to have the state police shut down the highway. We opted to stay at just 5" 70 feet per inch of shells minimum.... And when it comes to distance.. those are minimums... but my philosphy is too much is almost enough. Space saves lives is all goes to hell. fall out zones need to be just that... No one, I mean no one can have access to your save fallout zone and if they enter it (car for example) you must stop your show according to nfp1123

I hope this helps
Jason