PDA

View Full Version : Wire Footage Counter

TRMPyro
May 28th, 2009, 06:30 AM
I am looking for a linear footage (inches really) counter to attach to spools of wire to ease the task of measuring out several hundred lengths of wire; similar to those seen at Lowes or Home Depot for buying bulk wire. Can't seem to find what I am looking for by searching the net and hoped someone could point me in the right direction. Looking to measure out 18-24 Awg wire.

p40whk
May 28th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Those things they use at Lowes are about $700 so I doubt you want to spend that kind of cash. I did a quick search and found this but no price:

http://www.rotosure.com/Roto_Sure/default.asp?brandId=1

Scroll down to the bottom and look at what they call the Cable Box 50

TRMPyro
May 28th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Those things they use at Lowes are about $700 so I doubt you want to spend that kind of cash. I did a quick search and found this but no price:

http://www.rotosure.com/Roto_Sure/default.asp?brandId=1

Scroll down to the bottom and look at what they call the Cable Box 50

No, I definitely don't want to spend $700 or even the $230 that the item in your link costs. I was hoping for something low cost, even just a revolution counter to pull the wire through. Seems like it should be available. Thanks for the link, found the price at www.ustape.com.

p40whk
May 28th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Found this on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/wire-measuring-machine-rope-line-feet-count-wire-meter_W0QQitemZ330326705477QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090501?IMSfp=TL090501126006r54 93

sofaking
May 28th, 2009, 07:52 AM
you can contact a electrical wholesale house they can cut the wire for you in any length you need.good luck be safe

TRMPyro
May 28th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Good link, that actually gives me an idea of how to make one using a mechanical stroke counter and a couple of wheels. Just what I need another side project. Thanks again for the link.

Sonic
May 28th, 2009, 08:38 AM
You can always check Craigslist or auctions where maybe an electrical supply is going out of business.

TRMPyro
May 28th, 2009, 11:24 AM
you can contact a electrical wholesale house they can cut the wire for you in any length you need.good luck be safe

I do get my wire for DB25's precut and tinned from www.asapwire.com and that works out awesome and really speeds things up. I am working on slats for my firing system and need to cut various lengths in groups of 12 which currently is fairly tedious, electrical warehouse would be an option if I knew ahead of time what I needed, and I had one close.

I will keep checking online or make one similar to the ebay post using a mechanical counter and a couple wheels. Thanks for all the suggestions and links, keep them coming if you think of anything else.

dboyett
May 28th, 2009, 02:42 PM
You can maybe make one using one of those wheels contractors use to measure off things on the ground. I am not sure what they are called but at leased you can use the counter off of it. Just an idea.

TipRing
May 28th, 2009, 06:47 PM
If I have a lot to do, I usually put stakes in the ground, then just go around the stakes till i have enough pieces then cut it at the stakes.

joleinik
May 28th, 2009, 08:16 PM
What about the cheap fishing reel counters used for trolling? I think I picked one up at GI Joes for like $5.00 before it went out of business....

TRMPyro
May 29th, 2009, 06:01 AM
What about the cheap fishing reel counters used for trolling? I think I picked one up at GI Joes for like $5.00 before it went out of business....

I thought you had the solution but I need a device capable of measuring inches and all the line counters I found measured in feet. I think I will buy a mechanical counter and install it on a pair of rollers with 1" circumference so every rotation registers an inch similar to a lot of the payout meters out there but on a much smaller scale. In the mean time I will continue to use the "ruler" method which works just fine.