PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Mortar Questions 1.81"/1.91" and 12"/15"

jjlee138
May 7th, 2009, 10:27 AM
I'm going to be either putting together my own racks or purchasing a couple this year, and I'm noticing that most of the HDPE tubes I'm looking at come in several flavors. So what do I need? What situations call for what particular tube?

If it matters I'm mainly going to be shooting Hard & Heavy's out of them. I did try searching on this topic, but searching for "1.81" etc yielded zero results.

PYROBOOM
May 7th, 2009, 10:30 AM
H&H = you need DR11 (1.91" ID). Either 12" or 15" in length. Your call on the length.

I'm going to be either putting together my own racks or purchasing a couple this year, and I'm noticing that most of the HDPE tubes I'm looking at come in several flavors. So what do I need? What situations call for what particular tube?

If it matters I'm mainly going to be shooting Hard & Heavy's out of them. I did try searching on this topic, but searching for "1.81" etc yielded zero results.

independence
May 7th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Some guys will buy a little of each. But for the most part, people simplify and buy only DR11 (1.91) 12" mortars. The reason being they will shoot most ball shells and all canister shells. DR9 are too narrow to shoot many canister shells; though you may get more lift with some ball shells in the DR9's. There are SOME ball shells that may be too small to launch properly from a DR11 tube; I haven't shot them myself. That being said I've never shot a ball shell out of DR11 and thought it needed to go higher.

Some claim 15" will shoot the shells higher, but many have done their own tests and refuted that claim. The other thing to keep in mind is some artillery shells have a fuse that is too short to stick up out of a 15" mortar. Depending on the shell you may have to drill a small hole in each tube to stick your fuse through for ignition. I say no thanks. I have enough to do when setting up; the last thing I need is to have to thread every fuse through a hole.

So what do I buy? 12" DR11. That's it. I prefer to keep it simple; it fits most ball shells, and ALL 1.4g canister shells such as the Hard & Heavies you refer to.

fashionheadhunter
May 7th, 2009, 11:13 AM
I can't think of any reason to buy 15" mortars.

CooLighter
May 7th, 2009, 11:19 AM
I would get DR11 tubes like Indi said, most shells can fire thru them. As for DR9 tubes I shot the lift sounds louder than DR11 but you have to shove canister shells down the tube with a stick though. I think the 15" tubes looks better! :cool:

jjlee138
May 7th, 2009, 12:20 PM
DR11 12" it is then! Thanks for the cliff notes on Mortar shopping guys. I appreciate it.