PDA

View Full Version : Thesis on Proximate Pyro

Eledhwen
February 18th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Hi. I'm a technical theatre major and I've always loved (watching) pyro so I've decided to write my thesis on it and maybe get into it after I get over my post graduation exhaustion. Mainly I'm writing about history, composition, and safety but I don't know where to start getting info. I found a bunch of books on fireworks but I don't know how similar or different they are from proximates. I also found a few pyro textbooks but I was trying to avoid expensive books if there were less expensive options. So if you know of any books and any other information or experiences you'd like to share would be immensely appreciated:D

-T

graybeard
February 18th, 2009, 07:44 AM
NFPA 1126 is the national standard that all Proximate Pyrotechnicians must follow. I would take a look at that. The Rhode Island nightclub fire may be the most notorious proximate pyro accident in recent history. Try Googling that. The Lycopodeum Pipe may be the oldest proximate pyro effect ever used in theatre. Try Googling that. For less recent history, check out the YouTube vid on the Michael Jackson Pepsi commercial (and that too can be found with Google). There have been numerous deadly nightclub fires in the far east in recent years, all caused by the mis use of indoor pyro. Again, Google can help you with that.

fashionheadhunter
February 18th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Every once in a while, Harry Gilliam, the owner of skylighter.com has offered computer disks containing text of some of the more prominent pyro manuals, along with other related info.

Perhaps if you contact him and plead the poor college student routine, he may be able to help you. I know he has also said he doesn't care if the disks are further duplicated and distributed, so maybe someone on this forum can provide you with a copy. (I'd like one too if anyone has it.)

PyroBoy1der
February 18th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Every once in a while, Harry Gilliam, the owner of skylighter.com has offered computer disks containing text of some of the more prominent pyro manuals, along with other related info.

Perhaps if you contact him and plead the poor college student routine, he may be able to help you. I know he has also said he doesn't care if the disks are further duplicated and distributed, so maybe someone on this forum can provide you with a copy. (I'd like one too if anyone has it.)

I'd love one too even if it's just an ISO or something that i could burn myself. I'm also a Technical Theater student (but a little to far away to be thinking about graduation) with the idea that I would like to do a little Proximate in the future.

stuntborg
February 18th, 2009, 03:55 PM
There is a member on this site that works at a theater in a technical job. PAShooter. He hasn't been around lately but you can try PM'ing him or emailing him. He would be a great source of info on how the jobs in that field are.