PDA

View Full Version : Ufo

madpixs
February 6th, 2008, 02:08 PM
What Do You People Think About The Cakes That Have Those Ufo's Inside Them That Either Launch First Or Last?
Are They Cool?
Patriotic Has Just Added One To Their List I Was Wondering If Its Worth The Investment?

Fountains4Ever
February 6th, 2008, 02:14 PM
I'm glad you asked this question. I have not seen one before and have been wondering what they do exactly. I'm curious to read the responses myself.

stuntborg
February 6th, 2008, 02:24 PM
First, they are expensive. I've seen a couple shot and they are pretty cool. The UFO's are essentially a plane on steroids. They are usually very loud and scream on the way up. Some have a break when they reach some height. Others do not. Keep in mind though that whatever goes up must come down. The UFO frame will come down somewhere. Make sure you have enough room for it.

Rikerz
February 6th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Winda makes one, can't remember the name of it (catalog at home) and if I can remember I will post a video of it. It was ok.
I like the larger UFOs but I think this one was a smaller version.

dolfan228
February 6th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Here's a link to a video of Brain Twister by Great Grizzley with 2 UFO's coming out at the end. I believe that Jeff Wilson provided the video. Hope this helps, and the link works. If not, just go the Pyro Universe gallery and search for Brain Twister.

http://www.pyrouniverse.com/gallery2/showphoto.php?photo=3354

dolfan228
February 6th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Here's a link to another video by Jeff Wilson. The product is called Jackass, also a Great Grizzley product. It has one UFO coming out at the end.

http://www.pyrouniverse.com/gallery2/showphoto.php?photo=3355

bilgewaterbilly
February 6th, 2008, 03:58 PM
I really like girondolas and planes. I peronally have not yet used a cake with these effects but if the price is right...... I am really curious about Bigs reloadable UFO. I believe it will be more cost effective to fuse up with our favorite cakes. Has anyone here got hold of these yet? The web site says sold out, but i have not yet called.

trckyhicky
February 6th, 2008, 04:02 PM
There's another one out there called "Alien Resurrection" I think it's made by KFI...I've never seen it in person but I've been told it's great! The UFO is at the end and screams really louldly as it goes up. I plan on picking up a case of "Start Your Engines" from Patriotic this year.

quickstang1
February 6th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Here is a link to 85 Girandola's going off at once. AKA UFO's

http://www.pyroreview.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/8141/sort/1/cat/all/page/1

Here is a link to a 24" Girandola

http://www.pyroreview.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/12875/sort/1/cat/all/page/1

dolfan228
February 6th, 2008, 05:07 PM
AWESOME video!!!!

climber
February 6th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Some of the items I've seen are:

Large single UFO's
Can be 12" or more in diameter, very large launch tubes, Plastic spinner construction, Place upon metal tripod launcher, very loud scream, flies way out of sight, then color effect at the end. (Very Big Very Impressive)

Single UFO Cake
Will shoot a series (many) of 3/4" (or smaller)tubes positioned entirely around the perimeter of a large round shaped cake. The effect can be pearls or some may have full Peony, Brocades, Willows, Dragon Eggs, etc. At the completion of the last tube shot a Large UFO of which can be 10" in diameter will loudly scream up and up ending with a color effect. (Very Nice Show)
Double UFO Cake
Is generally the same as listed in the "Single UFO Cake" above. But are usually colored pearls in this one. Ending with two UFOs of which can be up to 6 inches in diameter ending with various effects.

Triple UFO Cake
Can be a long rectangular cake. Has small tubes about the perimeter of which often fire pearls and or comets. At the end 3 smaller (4") UFOs zip out screaming. All ending with color effects.

Re-loadable UFOs
Package is a paper (cardboard) cylinder approx. 15" high and 6" in diameter. open top packaging and remove the UFOs (usually wrapped in individual plastic bags). Place one UFO (Unwrapped) back into the cylinder upon the internal spindle. After ignition the item will scream and go way up to a color effect sometimes with a report. Repeat two more times.

There are many of these items listed above in countless brands and label's. Mostly made in the same factories in China though. The brand names and label's on the outside of the packaging usually don't mean a whole lot.

Pyroman6000
February 6th, 2008, 05:55 PM
I believe the new AFW cake @ WFBoom and Patriotic is the same as or a close copy of, Kellner's Alien Resurrection.

Alien Res is a pretty nice cake, and rather unusual. The main part is just comets shot 1 at a time. Then the ufo emerges- shrieking LOUDLY into the sky! This one does have a nice break at the end. A kind of costly piece, but the crowd will definitely not be expecting the ufo!

I like Brain Twister better, because the rest of the cake is much more interesting, with breaks and stuff. I believe the ufo in the Kellners cake has a better ending, though.

St1dinoh
February 6th, 2008, 06:06 PM
the forward one was cool, very loud scream coming out of that sucker.

but i saw a single 1.3 girandola that came on a metal frame in it's own box that completely shattered what i had considered to be loud or high flying.

can't remember the name or manufacturer...but if you can get them, they are not something you want to pass up.

the girandolas that are very loud like that add a very unique element to your show. slower to rise than a rocket and much louder than any kind of screaming pyro device. that unique sound is something everyone will remember, especially if there is a nice break at the end.

countryboy7978
February 6th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Hey Stoned,

I agree with you on the big 'dolas man. If you ever get a chance to find these don't pass them up. They are very very impressive. and that whistle is so loud you feel it in your gut until the thing gets a few hundred feet up. Just don't shoot these around anything flammable (grass, weeds, houses, etc.) they start a good size fire on the ground on the way up and they are still flaming when they land.

stuntborg
February 6th, 2008, 08:42 PM
The girandola competion at the PGI is pretty cool. These things are amazing and don't always work as planned. One of the decriptions went something like this:

"will spin on the ground for 5 seconds then rise to 50 feet. At which point it will hover for 10 seconds then shoot to 500 feet and break into a something er other. Finally, a parachute will lower the stucture to the ground along with a strobe"

crowninb
February 6th, 2008, 09:19 PM
i just purchased a few of them from a local place here in wa and if you shop around u can get a good deal. think i got mine for about 15 or 20 a pop but they are pretty sweet. i just love them cause they shoot of a little show then out of freaking no where comes this huge loud shrecking saucer!

seuss
February 6th, 2008, 09:36 PM
i just purchased a few of them from a local place here in wa and if you shop around u can get a good deal. think i got mine for about 15 or 20 a pop but they are pretty sweet. i just love them cause they shoot of a little show then out of freaking no where comes this huge loud shrecking saucer!

Yeah, the ones we got were $65 for a case 4/1, plus they were 12% off for early order discount, so actually $57.20, or $14.30 each. They have a nice big UFO in them too.

missinglink
February 6th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Tennespeedy posted Red Rhino's "Turn to Roswell" in the Gallery. I have not seen it shot but it looks nice in the vid.

http://www.pyrouniverse.com/gallery2/showphoto.php?photo=9301

Oh yeah... This is a double UFO.

seuss
February 6th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Tennespeedy posted Red Rhino's "Turn to Roswell" in the Gallery. I have not seen it shot but it looks nice in the vid.

http://www.pyrouniverse.com/gallery2/showphoto.php?photo=9301

Oh yeah... This is a double UFO.

I think Scott shot it or Roswell Incident (single UFO version) in September. I know he carries both. Also, it's Return to Roswell. Both of them are nice.

Here's a list of all the UFO cakes I know of so far:
200g
Monster Hunt by Red Pearl
Flying Butt Monkey by Red Rooster
Off Limits by Shogun
UFO Invasion by Standard

500g
Alien Resurrection by KFI Fireworks
The Guillotine by Megaton
Flying Saucer by Union Fireworks
Orbiters Launch Sequence by Phantom - double
Jackass by Great Grizzly
Galaxy Guests by United Pyro
Galaxy Guests by Lightning Bolt
Roswell Incident by Red Rhino
Pyros in da hole by Venom
Return to Roswell by Red Rhino - double UFO
Inscrutability by Galastar
Brain Twister by Herbies - double
Area 51 - Megabanger
American Space Orbiter by ?
Start Your Engines by glorious - double
American Orbiter by ? - Big ufo
Sky Scramble by Asia Pyro
UFO Pyro by Winda - single, smaller

Reloadable ufo:
Shade of Roswell - Flying Dragon

bcfireworks1
February 6th, 2008, 11:09 PM
Hmmm, never seen that one. Is there a video somewhere? Red Rooster is sweet stuff.

missinglink
February 6th, 2008, 11:21 PM

Man that sounds just nasty!! But I would love to have one just to put out in plain view next fourth when the guests arrive... or better yet.. have a charity raffle and have the winner get a "Flying Butt Monkey."

I can just hear the M.C. announcing the winner!!

"And the winner is Billie Jo!. Come on down and pick up your Flying Butt Monkey!" :lol::lol::lol:

Climber started a thread on this....

http://www.pyrouniverse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10901&highlight=Flying+Butt+Monkey

Diamond Dave confirms it is Red Rooster:

http://www.pyrouniverse.com/forum/showpost.php?p=120307&postcount=8

bcfireworks1
February 6th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Got it now. I will get some for the spring shoot for you missinglink.

missinglink
February 7th, 2008, 12:26 AM

hehehe! :lol:

Kewl!

seuss
February 7th, 2008, 01:04 AM

Nice, I'll take a handful of them too please, and any other UFO cakes you can pick up other then Pyros in Da Hole from Venom (got 4 cases of that one already) and UFO Pyro from Winda (got a case of it coming, but it looks kind of weak). Guillotine and Brain Twister are the ones at the top of my wish list if they happen to be available from your suppliers.

bcfireworks1
February 7th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Guillotine and Brain Twister are the ones at the top of my wish list if they happen to be available from your suppliers.
You should be able to get those and Jackass from the GG wholesaler.

PAshooter
February 7th, 2008, 10:03 AM
I have had 3 of the Monster Hunt by Red Pearl. I must say that when they work they are nice. My complaints about this one are a few. First of all there is a pretty long delay between the performance of the cake and the launch of the UFOs (yes this has 2) second the UFOs are fused with visco and not quick match or other fast fusing which on 2 of the three cakes I had caused a problem. On one cake only one ufo flew because the second one got tangled in the fuse remains from the first on another neither flew I am guessing for the same reason, but that one there wasn't much left of the cake. but out of 3 one worked properly.

missinglink
February 7th, 2008, 11:54 AM
I have had 3 of the Monster Hunt by Red Pearl. I must say that when they work they are nice. My complaints about this one are a few. First of all there is a pretty long delay between the performance of the cake and the launch of the UFOs (yes this has 2) second the UFOs are fused with visco and not quick match or other fast fusing which on 2 of the three cakes I had caused a problem. On one cake only one ufo flew because the second one got tangled in the fuse remains from the first on another neither flew I am guessing for the same reason, but that one there wasn't much left of the cake. but out of 3 one worked properly.

33% reliable is pretty sucky. I was thinking about that one.. Not any more.

pyrosatan
February 7th, 2008, 07:10 PM
I tested out an mib from bigs the other night. it is an exact rewrap of jack ass from gg. kind of pricey at 27 bucks a piece. I can get the guillotine for a couple bucks more and it blows mib away.

pyrosatan
February 7th, 2008, 07:16 PM
heres the top dog of girandola cakes.

http://www.fireworksforall.com/videos_1/_ui.wmv

missinglink
February 7th, 2008, 07:48 PM
heres the top dog of girandola cakes.

http://www.fireworksforall.com/videos_1/_ui.wmv

Very nice....... not likely to find it a the corner stand but nice even so.

DennyMo
February 8th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Here's a list of all the UFO cakes I know of so far:
200g
Monster Hunt by Red Pearl
Off Limits by Shogun
UFO Invasion by StandardUFO Invasion is only a 200g cake? I shot a pair of them last year (they're packed 2/1), it certainly "seemed" bigger. The audience loved them. Alternating red/green pearls ending with a shrieking girandola, great cake. Here's a link to a video:
http://www.pyrouniverse.com/gallery2/showphoto.php?photo=8059

WinklePyro
February 23rd, 2008, 06:31 PM
The one company to have more UFO cakes than any other is Liuyang Flying Dragon. They now have over 9 diffrent ones. From the reloadables to 3 diff. triples and 2 quads and some even have the hover effect. Most are on the web at www.lxfireworks.com

pyrosatan
February 27th, 2008, 07:08 PM
this is a pretty cool ufo cake from standard. dont know what market its for. be cool if you could get it.

countryboy7978
February 27th, 2008, 09:27 PM
You could make a nice board with the reloadables that would be similar. Just quickmatch them together

k1ley4evr
February 27th, 2008, 10:03 PM
You could make a nice board with the reloadables that would be similar. Just quickmatch them together

now thats a great idea. gonna have to consider doing that this year

Mean Old Man
February 28th, 2008, 01:08 PM
I think it might be interesting to spread these out in a front of sorts (either the reloadables or the cakes) and set them up to fire several at a time. Just keep the sky filled with UFOs for a few seconds. They could even be slightly angled so that UFOs are flying up in different directions. Would be a pretty cool effect IMO.

jman
February 28th, 2008, 01:19 PM
What about flight direction? Before I loaded up a bunch of these I'd make sure there is no way they could reach the spectators. Sometimes these things get off course pretty badly, just a thought

Mean Old Man
February 28th, 2008, 01:35 PM
What about flight direction? Before I loaded up a bunch of these I'd make sure there is no way they could reach the spectators. Sometimes these things get off course pretty badly, just a thought

I actually thought I'd have spectators holding the tubes as I fired them...maybe they could point them toward people they don't like...:)

No, you're right on Jman...think of it like a Candle Front or a Z. Everything angled should be to the left or right from the perspective of the audience and probably angled slightly away from them...NEVER TOWARD THEM. And with these, I would keep the angles at a minimum. And of course they should be shot at a safe distance from EVERYTHING because, as you say, these things don't always go where you think they will.

jman
February 28th, 2008, 02:18 PM
I actually thought I'd have spectators holding the tubes as I fired them...maybe they could point them toward people they don't like...:)

No, you're right on Jman...think of it like a Candle Front or a Z. Everything angled should be to the left or right from the perspective of the audience and probably angled slightly away from them...NEVER TOWARD THEM. And with these, I would keep the angles at a minimum. And of course they should be shot at a safe distance from EVERYTHING because, as you say, these things don't always go where you think they will.

I think its a great idea to set up a bunch of these. I just thought it should be mentioned that they dont always fly according to plan and those who do this should be careful in their setup. Just trying to help:)

pyrosatan
March 11th, 2008, 07:21 PM
here a pic of firing solution from bigs. looks pretty cool havent fired one yet though.

Dan
March 11th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Big's is a rewrap of Flying Dragon's...from last year. Same cake.

Dan

Diamond Dave
March 12th, 2008, 06:21 AM
Big's is a rewrap of Flying Dragon's...from last year. Same cake.

Dan

Dan,

Golden Bear's "Sky Rage" is a rewrap too. I have a 100 cases (2 in a case) of the Flying Dragon one coming to Florida next month. Big & Crazy Debbie's both have a rewrap of the Flying Dragon three shot reloadable UFO kit. Most of the Flying Dragon product line is "Top Shelf" in my book. It's your turn to call me now.

Diamond Dave
www.fireworks4all.com

chrisb
March 12th, 2008, 07:15 AM
here a pic of firing solution from bigs. looks pretty cool havent fired one yet though.

That looks freaking cool. I may have to order a case.

chuckrx
March 12th, 2008, 09:11 PM
for you guys that was at the Top Dog shoot on 03/01.....those sky scramble cakes were UFO's.....

Chuck

Diamond Dave
March 12th, 2008, 09:29 PM
for you guys that was at the Top Dog shoot on 03/01.....those sky scramble cakes were UFO's.....

Chuck

Hey Chuck,

Those Sky Scrambles are made for Winco and are only 200 gram cakes. I shot a few of those last year and thought they were crap. They maybe went up 30 feet or so (maybe). I only play with the big ones now.

Diamond Dave

southsider_08
March 12th, 2008, 09:36 PM
could you make one of these by taking larger rockets without the sticks and mount them on a disk and launch like a regular one?? just courious, cause it seems thats all ufo's and girandolas are?? am i wrong?

jay2real
March 12th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Hey Chuck,

Those Sky Scrambles are made for Winco and are only 200 gram cakes. I shot a few of those last year and thought they were crap. They maybe went up 30 feet or so (maybe). I only play with the big ones now.

Diamond Dave
www.fireworks4all.com
Hey Dave i just happened to be there @ the Top Dog shoot on 3/1 and had a chance to witness the liftoff of about 10-15 of those cakes and of course it was the first time I'd ever seen anything like it. The little stuff seems to look good to when you have alot of it going off at the same time. Anyway, I was wondering in your opinion what would be a nice ufo cake to look for this year? I would definitely like to add some of those into one of my shows:D

Pyro-Man
March 12th, 2008, 10:37 PM
this is a pretty cool ufo cake from standard. dont know what market its for. be cool if you could get it.This is a UFO NIAB? (Nine in a Box)

chuckrx
March 13th, 2008, 01:07 AM
Hey Chuck,

Diamond Dave
www.fireworks4all.com

Thanks for the input Dave. I was just trying to point out to some of the guys who were there what a UFO effect was similar to. You are right, they only went about 30-40 feet, but we had about 12 of them go at once, so it was interesting and different to those of us who hadn't seen them before. I'd wager anything that the larger ones look much better,and I look forward to getting my hands on some of those babies !!! ;)

Chuck

Big No No
March 13th, 2008, 04:06 AM

I think its a great idea to set up a bunch of these. I just thought it should be mentioned that they dont always fly according to plan and those who do this should be careful in their setup. Just trying to help:)

That's why girandolas are nicknamed "The flaming wheel of death" They're great when they do what they're supposed to but they will wake up a crowd when they "almost" do what they are supposed to. I love them, one of my favorite effects.

Diamond Dave
March 13th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Hey Dave,

I was wondering in your opinion what would be a nice ufo cake to look for this year? I would definitely like to add some of those into one of my shows:D

jay2real,

Any of the "Flying Dragon" ones will do you just fine. They make about 9 or 10 different ones. I shot 4 different ones of theirs last year up in S. Dakota at "Gunderson's Amazing Fireworks Super Outlet Store". Chase the Tiger is a nice single UFO cake, Double Trouble is a real good two UFO cake, Trip the Night Fantastic is a very good three shot UFO cake (in a Box). Screaming Mimi's is a 4 UFO's in a box cake, this one is outrageous. The three shot reloadable kit is a blast. I can think of three different companies that are rewraping the "Flying Dragon" brand of UFO's right now. I ordered six different ones from them for this year and the reloadable kit too. They should all be down here in sunny Florida by the 5th of next month.

Chuck

Talk to Brad, he can get sone nice ones for you. Make a board out of 15 or 20 of the kit ones. This board will blow you away. These will go up about 200 feet imo, at about 100mph, the noise is unreal. Then tell me what you think of the Sky Scrambles.

Diamond Dave

Dan
March 13th, 2008, 07:57 AM
I can vouch for that too. Trip the Night Fantastic is freakin' awesome. Those little babies come out of the box screaming and go way way up. It's awesome and will really wake up your audience.

Dan

southsider_08
March 13th, 2008, 08:49 AM
did i ask a wrong question? just curious cause i got no replys. i was just curious excatly the difference between rockets and the peices that are attacted to the girandola disks? wasnt going to attempt anthing but would be easy if thats all it was?

stuntborg
March 13th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Southsider

Your question bordered on breaking the rules. You are suggesting modifying consumer fireworks. This is illegal and against the rules. We tend to be very supportive of these rules as this sight may be watched.

I would strongly advice against doing what you suggest. There are places where you can learn about that type of stuff legally and safely. Look for a local club or joint the PGI. They offer a class on Girandolas at the convention.

graybeard
March 13th, 2008, 09:01 AM
[Southsider, as Stunt indicated, asking about construction of these items takes the thread a bit off topic, and the rules don't allow us to get into construction of any item anyway. That may be why no one jumped in to reply to your post's]

southsider_08
March 13th, 2008, 09:09 AM
i figured thats what was up, in NO way would i ever attempt to modify any type of device, i do it for a hobby and respect ths safety for others and along with the great help i get from people on these forums, i was just relating the simalarities is all, sorry for the distraction!:oops:

rrumlow
March 13th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Is firing solution only offered at retail? I don't see it on the wholesale list I also noticed quake was on retail but not wholesale on bigs site?

rrumlow
March 13th, 2008, 04:28 PM
nm I see It.....

chuckrx
March 13th, 2008, 09:18 PM
www.firewors4all.com[/url]

Alright Dave, I will ask him about it at next meet. Thanks again for the tip, as I have read many of your posts and appreciate the gems of knowledge imparted into them. :D

Tell me more about the 4 ufo cake you mentioned in an earlier post...I'm a big cake kind of guy.....

Chuck

jperre01
March 13th, 2008, 10:53 PM
GB has a couple new ones out in their 08 catalog. The Big Fighter (mines with Girandola) and Sky Rage ( r/w/b & gold tiger tails and then 3 UFOs)

I'm not able to get the video downloaded. will try later

RudyG
March 14th, 2008, 02:32 AM
GB has a couple new ones out in their 08 catalog. The Big Fighter (mines with Girandola) and Sky Rage ( r/w/b & gold tiger tails and then 3 UFOs)

I'm not able to get the video downloaded. will try later

The Big Fighter has been brought up in another thread before. Bay, has already put the video up in the gallery.

http://www.pyrouniverse.com/gallery2/showphoto.php?photo=10712

Search and you shall find.

MagicMan
March 15th, 2008, 09:05 AM
What Do You People Think About The Cakes That Have Those Ufo's Inside Them That Either Launch First Or Last?
Are They Cool?
Patriotic Has Just Added One To Their List I Was Wondering If Its Worth The Investment?

What is the new Patriotic UFO cake called?

bbd4193
March 15th, 2008, 09:44 AM
What is the new Patriotic UFO cake called?

http://www.patfire.com/site/uploads/images/products/aerial_repeaters_500/12147.jpg

rrumlow
March 15th, 2008, 10:30 PM
anyone have video of bigs mib?

pyrosatan
March 16th, 2008, 01:26 PM
here is a video of jackass which is an exact rewrap of mib.
http://www.pyrouniverse.com/gallery2/data/500/jackass.wmv

just a note they are packed 2/1 not 3/1 like the pricelist shows.

KellyR
March 18th, 2008, 12:14 PM
I may be spoiled on UFO's because I have shot 4 Megaton Guillotines and they were very impressive and seemed to travel 200ft over a 10 sec period. very dramatic and loud, ending with a pretty nice color break. Don't know if any of the other large single UFO compare to this cake. It would be nice to have info on a rewrap or two of this cake if it's out there. I would tend to lean toward the big singles because of the duration of flight and height. I would be interested to hear from someone who has shot the Megaton UFO and other brands to see how it compares. The singles are expensive but IMO well worth it.

rrumlow
March 18th, 2008, 07:48 PM
I'm not that impressed with jackass especially if mib is packed 2-1 also no break at the end? shades of roswell is the best I've seen so far damn high prices tho....

Hugh T Man
May 1st, 2008, 09:58 PM
They are crowd pleasers...hands down. It's still a novelty item. The first time I shot The Guillotine 2 years ago, the crowd went nuts and you would have thought that was the only thing I shot.

I had a SMB board with about 6, 200 shot smb fused together and the guillotine timed to finish the board. It was killer.

You have to splurge.

JoeRatman
May 1st, 2008, 10:19 PM
Here is video of the 200g Monster hunt. As mentioned previously, it has two UFOs.

There are two cakes going off in the video.
http://www.pyrouniverse.com/gallery2/data/500/MonsterHunt.wmv

Jhenery
May 2nd, 2008, 08:09 AM
I saw a few go off at the Four Seasons demo shoot last week.
Pretty cool to throw them in a quiet time of a show. The sound they make going up gets everybody kind of giggling and excited again in the middle of a show.
I will have a few in my show this year.
JH

jnsluft
May 15th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Does anybody know if Victory carries any types of the UFO's?

Shawn