PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing a Pelican Case 1520 for System Box...Have Questions...HELP!!

NEAmateur
December 12th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Ok, so I am looking in to purchasing a Pelican Case 1520 to use for the firing system case. I am looking at building my first system and I want to get a larger case so I can expand it as I decide to. I also would like to get one of the custom panels made for the case to make it look nice and also organize things better. Here are my questions:

1. Do I need to purchase anything extra to use for the custom panel? I see on some of the pictures that others have posted that it looks as though the panel is screwed to the case, however when I am looking at detailed picture of the case i do not see any screw holes for this to happen. So I am curious as to how the panel is mounted and if I need extra parts.

2. Does anyone have any reputable website or company that sells Pelican Cases at a reasonable cost?

3. Can someone advise as to approximate costs of the custom panel?

4. I am thinking about using the 9-Pin Connectors that are more like a computer connector than the ones that Joe has on the expandable sytem for the slat connections. When searching ebay I found a store selling 9-Pin cables that were 100-125 feet in length. Would those cables work for this project or do I need to make custom cables using a specific gage wire?

Those are the main questions I have for now. Also, thanks to all who have posted on here and the members, the information here is amazing and really inspired me to try to make my own system rather than spending the extra money to buy one pre-made. I have no electrical type experince what so ever to I am looking forward to everyone's help for this project!

Thanks
NEAmateur

Arthur Brown
December 12th, 2007, 11:28 AM
I think there is a fixing kit available from Pelican to allow a panel to be mounted, really is worth asking your dealer.

JoeRatman
December 12th, 2007, 11:38 AM
I am thinking about using the 9-Pin Connectors that are more like a computer connector than the ones that Joe has on the expandable sytem for the slat connections. When searching ebay I found a store selling 9-Pin cables that were 100-125 feet in length.
The dSub connectors (9, 15 or 25) are much more durable than the power connectors I used in that earlier system. My latest wired system uses 15 pin dSub connectors. I also made cables with a male connector on one end and a female on the other. The slats had male connectors and the panel female connectors. This allows you to have interchangeable cables that can be combined to make different lengths.

Usually the boughten cables have 24-28 gage wire. This is usually too thin of wire use in a firing system. You need to check the gage of the wire. Usually you have to make your own cables by soldering a multi-conductor cable to your own dSubs.

There is a "cheat" way of doing this, though. You get a very short M/F cable (under 3'). You cut the cable in two and solder a 18-22 gage cable to the wires that are attached to dSubs. So you have just a short piece of high gage wire on each end attached to the dSubs.

The other way to get around cables, is to make a wireless system.

dovaka
December 12th, 2007, 01:03 PM
you need a application frame for the case in order to mount a panel
i buy my cases from here http://www.casesbypelican.com
although most places are about the same price

NEAmateur
December 12th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Joe:

After reading your message, and thinking about it for awhile now, I probably should go wireless. Does the cost get a little less with wireless since you don't have to buy all the wires? Also, I was reading about your custom wireless board you had made, what is the website or contact information to that company to get more made? and Last, I read more into it about having the changable encoding and all that...which still kind of confuses me a little, however if I were to buy 6 RX and 1-2 TX would I be able to run all 6 RX off of one TX during a show. I will probably start off making one and then working upwords but i figure i might as well buy all the RX and TX at the same time to have the same product for each.
Thanks